cooker switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
Is there any point in taking a cooker switch front off which has got a cooker switch socket and switch built into it when testing for polarity?.At college we are connector blocking first line+neutral at the board.Testing at the cooker socket and switching to prove l+n.Then testing at the cooker outlet between l+n and switching main cooker switch to prove continuity.The 2nd test is then l+e joined at board same tests again.Is this all I have to do for the polarity test on cooker circuit and do I have to take the cooker switch off at all ?A dont think a do do I?tb ryan

The socket on the switch can be used to test for polarity, there is no need to remove the cooker switch. If the cooker switch does not have a socket outlet, then it should be removed to confirm polarity at the switch,

thats what I thought thanks for your help this will save precious time I just wanted to confirm it just I have an exam coming up 2392 if you dont prove polarity at every point instant fail!.Am orite with the other tests thanks

If you are doing an exam, then the testing procedures should be followed, as this will basically be a PIR, then a visual examination may be required, this will prove 1, Connection of conductors, 2, Identification of conductors and 3, Correct connection of accessories and equipment.

To test and confirm polarity in a radial circuit you would only normally require to test R1+R2, this along with the visual inspection can prove polarity. Ring circuits would require additional testing. All the tests are described in the on site guide, and should be read and fully understood, you will also need the Guidance Note 3, if you do any testing.

I'd also note that if you have been taught this way, I'd stick to it for the exam. No point in causing tension between you and the lecturers for any reason.