Could you rewire a domestic without RCD protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been reading Ammendment 1 again - and PC Electrics was correct earlier in the thread - the regulation in question(701.411.3.3), should definitely not be a problem later this year. :D

701.411.3.3 Additional protection by RCDs

Additional protection shall be provided for all low voltage circuits of the location, by the use of one or more RCDs having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1.

NOTE: See also Regulations 314.1(iv) and 531.2.4 concerning the avoidance of unwanted tripping.

The change in Blue - so no more non-compliance:D

in my opinion id not be happy to use whether inside the property or outside the property for power tools etc without rcd protection if i go to a house without rcd on the sockets i plug a rcd unit into the extension lead then into the socket point.

in my opinion id not be happy to use whether inside the property or outside the property for power tools etc without rcd protection if i go to a house without rcd on the sockets i plug a rcd unit into the extension lead then into the socket point.
jaysus

nearly 3 years,  :eek:

Sorry to re-bump this old thread but I had a couple of thoughts about the socket outlets requiring additional protection.

1. install 32amp socket outlets, each spurred off a 13A FCU, and leave a bag of 32amp plugs for the homeowner to replace on their appliances. They would have to remember to put the correct fuse rating for the appliance they are about to use in the fcu first of course.

2. It would be OK to omit RCD protection if the homeowner, spouse and any children were all qualified electricians, and any visitors were "instructed" (or not allowed).

3. The outdoors use bit would not be required in a flat in block of flats.

Not much fun, but compliant?

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.