crabtree consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krises

Reaction score
Have any Electricians encountered problems converting a Crabtree Consumer unit to meet the 17th Edition.

seems that all their rcbo's are type C and their split boards only take 1 RCD on the split Bus bar.

Have any Electricians encountered problems converting a Crabtree Consumer unit to meet the 17th Edition.seems that all their rcbo's are type C and their split boards only take 1 RCD on the split Bus bar.
So are wylex rcbos mate. C curve, that is.

I have been told by Crabtree that type B will be some time yet, think there having problems, I agree, bit of a pain. Why not use the high integrity crabtree c/u with 2 rcds, problem if you need them for the non protected ways, will mean going back on job when they are available.

Thanks Wally,

First time I have encountered a Crabtree unit for certification to meet 17th Edition, you would think that they would supply a conversion kit for their existing units. WYLEX are much easier to convert.

Have any Electricians encountered problems converting a Crabtree Consumer unit to meet the 17th Edition.seems that all their rcbo's are type C and their split boards only take 1 RCD on the split Bus bar.
Hello krises

why not use mk there rcbos are b type they do two 17th edition consumer units and wf where doing there rcbos for

Crabtree do a whole range of multi RCB boards and bus bar configurations..

many of them you have to order up special from your wholesaler.

Its more what the wholesaler stocks that what Crabtree make..

http://www.electrium.co.uk/Crabtree17thEdition(1).pdf

have a look at the above PDF around page 4ish?

Other PDFs you may want to look at..

http://www.electrium.co.uk/downloads.php

Or just go and check the product lists in the on-line-catalogue to see whats available..

http://www.electrium.co.uk/crabtree.htm

Oh by the way....

welcome ;)

stupid question time.

WTF is the difference?

in a normal domestic does a C and a B really make that much difference?

are you pushing the Zs that close?

I know the characteristics are different, but for a normal joe it should be fine, should it not.?

stupid question time.WTF is the difference?

I know the characteristics are different, but for a normal joe it should be fine, should it not.?
I would tend to agree with you there Steptoe.

P.S. can we borrow the horse for Saturdays water fight?

we want to do a sort of cavalry charge...

cum Roman gladiator chariot attack. ]:)

With Hercules pulling Slipshod in his barrow... :eek:

I was wondering that as well. As I also have just found out that Wylex only do c-type rcbo's.

Would you think it could be caught on a I&T? Would LABC be that fussy?

I was wondering that as well. As I also have just found out that Wylex only do c-type rcbo's.Would you think it could be caught on a I&T? Would LABC be that fussy?
'Wylex' - 'Volex' - 'Crabtree' all part of same group "Electrium"...

probably all made the same RCBO factory in China...

then housed & badged up accordingly?? ?:| ]:) ] :)

Hello steptoe,

I would not agree with this. The zs of c type rcbo as you no is half that of a b type so .60 ohms would be hard to achieve at the end of a long ring main circuit c types are for commercial not domestic. What do you think.

batty

Hello steptoe,I would not agree with this. The zs of c type rcbo as you no is half that of a b type so .60 ohms would be hard to achieve at the end of a long ring main circuit c types are for commercial not domestic. What do you think.

batty
I`ve now done 3 domestic properties, with wylex boards, filled with C curve RCBO`s. The Zs hasn`t been an issue on any of them; and TBH I don`t expect it to be - at the moment.

To cover myself, I`ve been testing the circuits BEFORE I start the job; so that I can decide whose make to go with. If I DID have a cct which couldn`t take it, I`d have to go with another maker. It`s really not that big an issue.

Alternatively, I have dropped ring circuits (other than kitchen / utility) to a 20A before now.

IMHO

KME