crimping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Must crimped cables be shrink-wrapped or covered in insulating tapes or something similar?

Thanks

It's considered good practice to do it. I wouldn't use insulating tape though, it will eventually fall off!

The crimp itself is insulation enough and when crimping singles in conduit or trunking then I don't double insulate. When dealing with T&E then I'll stagger the crimps and then heatshrink over the lot.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :D

It's considered good practice to do it. I wouldn't use insulating tape though, it will eventually fall off! :D
My boys beg to differ Mr Sworld.

(As long as it is done correctly)

And if anything, it can be rather awkward to remove.

Don

Thank you Mr Sworld

Having only recently qualified and completed the electrics in my rather large extension and having made numerous changes to the current electrics, I think I've learned more doing this than I did on my course - in a practical sense.

"shrink-wrapping" and "crimping" had never been mentioned and I only found out how to do the crimping because I asked. Now all I need to do is find out how to shrink wrap!

The site is proving to be invaluable reading... :) , it's just a shame that I only seem to get a chance to get online at these ungodly hours:_|

Cheers

Nat

:eek:

Thank you Mr SworldHaving only recently qualified and completed the electrics in my rather large extension and having made numerous changes to the current electrics, I think I've learned more doing this than I did on my course - in a practical sense.

"shrink-wrapping" and "crimping" had never been mentioned and I only found out how to do the crimping because I asked. Now all I need to do is find out how to shrink wrap!

The site is proving to be invaluable reading... :) , it's just a shame that I only seem to get a chance to get online at these ungodly hours:_|

Cheers

Nat
Just slide your sheathing over the joint and heat until sheathing shrinks!!!!!

but dont overheat and melt the original cable!!!

:eek: Just slide your sheathing over the joint and heat until sheathing shrinks!!!!!

but dont overheat and melt the original cable!!!
Concur, Sir.

I use one of these, Nat.

Thanks everyone - have to spend more money on tools!!!
Oh it's not so bad! I LOVE :x spending money on kit! It makes feel all warm and furry inside. :D

(My latest is the Kewtec SWA insulation stripper!)

When using insulated crimps, I offset them and then wrap the joint in several layers of self amalgamating tape.

When using uninsulated crimps on larger cable sizes I use glue lined heat shrink (from Maplins and elsewhere) around each crimp before using self amalg.

If the joint is to be exposed or outside, I'll put on an extra layer of heatshrink over the lot. Also make sure the cable is supported each side of the joint so there's no stress on the joints.

I got one of these a few weeks back,

the dogs dangly bits, and cheap too.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34959&DOY=7m9

while we're on it, anyone got a suggestion for shearing 35mm SWA??

Ive tried ordinary cable shears but too much pressure for them.

I have about 200m of it to take out above a suspended ceiling and no room for a hacksaw, I need it in about max 2m lengths or smaller so loadsa cuts.

thank you Mr Sworld, was kinda hoping someone mighta had a more portable solution, those things are kinda bulky. seems that its prob gonna be my answer tho.

Sorry Steptoe it says not swa. the steel wire cutters are

Oh it's not so bad! I LOVE :x spending money on kit! It makes feel all warm and furry inside. :D (My latest is the Kewtec SWA insulation stripper!)
So you recommend do you as I was considering buying one?

No, no, no. Stick to the good old fashioned, Hacksaw.

That's the way I do it. :)

PMSL @ Apache (Moo) :D :D - even though they`re NOT talking about pliers!!!

Ordinary SWA Admin - I`d also be at it with hacksaw. :)

However - BIGGIE SWA - angle grinder would be my weapon of choice mate. If you`re competent with one, you can even prep the end for glanding!!!!! :D

PMSL @ Apache (Moo) :D :D - even though they`re NOT talking about pliers!!!Ordinary SWA Admin - I`d also be at it with hacksaw. :)

However - BIGGIE SWA - angle grinder would be my weapon of choice mate. If you`re competent with one, you can even prep the end for glanding!!!!! :D
Ok a pair of shears! :p

Angle grinder was my idea :p