Cross Line Lasers: Leica Lino L2+. Vs Dewalt Dw88K

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pewter

Conspiracy Theorist™
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get a cross laser level of my own for the last year or so.

I have used my friends Dewalt DW88K over the years and have found it fantastic. It comes with a tough case, magnetic multifunction adapter, self leveling feature, can be screwed to a Tripod (had a cheap Aldi one).   I have used the vertical line to set ceiling lights in large commercial areas. Leveling function i have used for setting socket heights and wall lights out. Nice bright laser. Easy to use. Has 2 buttons to operate the laser, one for horizontal and one for vertical.

I needed one 2 days ago. I checked prices for the DW88K at 5 places near me. One place near a wholesaler i was going to said, they also had a Leica one in stock ( i had never seen the Leica one befor). I have a setting out engineer friend who always raves on about the Leica stuff he uses so i thought it was worth a look.

-Both were the same price £165+ . 

-The Leica came with a 3 year warranty, Dwalt 1 year.

-Both have multifunction adapter.

-Both have tough cases.

-They did have a different angle around the machine which the salesman showed me. I think the DW88K was slightly better.

-Dwalt has 2 buttons for each laser, Leica only has one that has to be pulsed which is not as good.

-Leica can make laser less bright in a dimming function, which saves on batteries also.

-Leica can lock the laser off self leveling. This protects it during transit, and also gives it the feature to set angles , as the Dwalt is always swinging around trying to self level, it can not set angles.

So i chose the Leica. They also had a Leica tripod to go with it for £30+ which has its own carry bag.

After using the Leica i am so glad i got it. It self levels better as it can level off at 5deg compared to Dwalts 4deg, i really notice the difference. The tripod is fantastic, a must have and worth every penny. Only thing i dont like is the one button to choose horizontal and vertical lasers.

Really pleased i chose the Leica, its fantastic.

i have a little stanley crossline one, takes 2 AA batteries,

cost a fiver I think,

fits a tripod,

or sits on a flat surface,

levels using spirit bubbles, and 3 thumbscrews,

rotates through 180degrees vertical for lining floor marks to ceilings

works for me,

oh, its so small its in the useful damageable stuff box so its no effort to get it out to use, so its used all the time,

:D

Have had the Leica 2 for about a year now with tripod, use it most days, excellent kit, comes in a nice carry box, tripod in an over the shoulder or hand held bag. The wall mount bracket is a god send, also magnetic for metallic frames etc. to be fair think I've only used the tripod a couple of times and only once at work for setting out downlight positions. Plus it's red and black so matches my milwaukee tools! :) (sad I know)

I got one of these :(

14CHALKLINE30.gif

A laser level is in my list of things to buy. :)

I do mostly maintaince so not much call for one atm.

Would have dismissed leica just on the grounds it would probably cost too much so am glad you posted :)

I have the Dewalt one you mention. But I didn't pay anything like £165 for it.  I got it new from ebay for only a few £ over a hundred. 

It transforms the job of setting out a run of downlighters compared to a chalk line.

It's bright enough that you can use it outside (I used it for setting out site levels on a building plot) but best to pick a dull day for outside work like that, unless you buy a measuring staff with an electronic laser detector.

Kerch, et al,

I have a DeWalt, but not sure on the model.

I did not pay much for mine, A CK technicians bag IIRC.

A former employee left it behind when he did a bunk with the bag, and did not even work his notice.

He never asked for it, so I never volunteered it back, as he aquired it from an employer he told me.

I do religiously remove the batteries though, it has compartments in the box for them, so it is just so easy to do, and, I have had other kit ruined by leaking batteries & Duracells, new ones at that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried, Or rather the battery supplier did.

Farnell tried to claim from Duracell, and got nowhere, so, to be fair, they repaired the Fluke clamp meter themselves FOC, as they had supplied the batteries.

Better customer service than a large DIY chain I can think of?

Just musing...

I got a cheapo from Makro on one of their Mail offers.........<£50 from memory. Horizontal & vertical lines etc and works a treat. The best bit though WAS the remote control rotating base unit. Came with a little RF key fob where you could control clockwise / anti-clockwise movement so you could set it up on the tripod and project your socket or whatever line all round the room remotely. Trouble is the RF unit has gone belly up though the laser section is fine. Have bought a 2-channel remote kit from Maplin which I'm going to rig to a couple of transistors to drive the 6V motor in the base.

Adding it all up I should have bought the DeWalt/Leica! :facepalm:

I tried, Or rather the battery supplier did.

Farnell tried to claim from Duracell, and got nowhere, so, to be fair, they repaired the Fluke clamp meter themselves FOC, as they had supplied the batteries.

Better customer service than a large DIY chain I can think of?

Just musing...
Ah yes, Farnell, the parent company of CPC!

As for the large orange DIY ( but with No warranty as you did the job yourself so,our guarantee is worth as much as a piece of second user bog paper) shed.....did i ever tell you about their APPALLING AFTER SALES SERVICE AND WORTHLESS WARRANTY?

I am over it now...

Decided to repair my laser level:

The remote kit I got from Maplin is IR so I've ordered an RF one instead (as per originally fitted). Suddenly dawned on me that I'd have to cut some windows in the base to let the IR through!  :facepalm:

Photo0413.jpg

Photo0414.jpg

Bought a small 2-channel RF kit from Hong Kong - a tenner, ready made (can't fault the quality, soldering etc), including postage and even a 12V battery in the remote! The PCB though was too big to fit in the level's base. So.....I've stuck it in a "custom" enclosure that looks remarkably like an old cod liver oil pill container. A couple of 6-pin DIN connectors and short lead. Works a treat. All that's in the laser base now is two PP3s. One supplies the RF PCB with 9V. The other, goes to the two relays via a Zener diode to drop it a bit as the motor is only 6V and then back up to the base. I'll just clip the pill bottle to the tripod:

SAM_0193.JPG

SAM_0195.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arACdgWmLac&feature=youtu.be

(Yes I know.......it's the laser base not levelled, the cupboards are plumb!  :lol: )

...........the laser has a thing to turn atop in between the HL & VL switches which brings the lines dead level. Soon find out if it works still as I'm going to use it to get the new bathroom ceiling joists level as I'm using tapered edge plasterboard. Continuing the frugal approach I even used two screws for the DIN socket in the pot salvaged from a defunct sandwich toaster. Must add a couple to the socket in the laser base - at present a round socket in a square (the old switch) hole. held by a wedge of "power putty". About £15 in all cost wise.

SAM_0198.JPG

Never let it be said I don't know how to have fun on New Year's Eve!  :lol:

(................. tail end of a flu type thing & I don't even feel like a beer!)