CSA. How to identify cable size without manufacturers markings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NE1

Reaction score
Got a general enquiry here.

It's never been relevant until recently but ive took on a kind of unofficial apprentice and he's really struggling to tell the difference between cables sizes such as 2.5 and 1.5 etc inside of panels does anyone have a tool or way of identifying cable sizes when manufacturers markings are not visible.

I've had a look and even suggested using a caliber but when checking these myself 2.5mm is actually measuring in at 2mm on our caliber so I know this just confuse him further.

Cheers for any advice.

Last edited:
No ferrules lads.

May have described it poorly.

If I have pulled in for example one leg of 2.5 twin and 1 leg of 1.5twin to a board for example and have removed the pvc sheath the lad who's learning cannot easily identify the difference between the 1.5 and 2.5

I would rather offer some kind of tool or mechanism for him to learn rather than roast him for it just wondered if there was any gauges or anything for this scenario.

Cheers

If you have some ferrules they are a good gauge to slip over the conductor.

If you were to glue the ferrules to a piece of hardboard you would have the room to mark the size underneath. it would be small enough to place in a pocket of a tool bag.

You could try using a plastic vernier gauge to measure the diameter of the conductor, bearing in mind that the 2.5 and 1.5 etc., refers to the cross sectional area not the diameter of the conductor.