CU change--no cpc to lighting ccts.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2

Reaction score
Today I have changed a cu and all is well apart from the following

1. No cpc to lighting ccts

2. Borrowed neutral to landing light.

When filling in an EIC how can I possibly fill in the R1+R2 columns?

Any easy way to get round the borrowed neutral to the landing?

All the light switches are in metal back boxes. Should the switches be class2?

Dave

Can't do R1+R2, but can still do Line and Neutral so test that, and annotate cert to say so, or annotate to say limited testing only due to no earth.

All accessories should be class 2, but don't think that includes back boxes, plus assuming new CU has full RCD protection, you have supplementary protection (think that's the right phrase) in place.

Borrowed neutral needs sorting.

Dave
Connect both lighting circuits onto the same MCB, treat as one circuit.

The Godfather

(If remedial work is out of the question)

I might add the 17th edition CU, is certainly going to find this old practice of the Landing light.

Don

Today I have changed a cu and all is well apart from the following1. No cpc to lighting ccts

2. Borrowed neutral to landing light.

When filling in an EIC how can I possibly fill in the R1+R2 columns?

All the light switches are in metal back boxes. Should the switches be class2?

Dave
I did similar job a few weeks back. Luckily lighting did not have borrowed neutral on landing. Boxes where wooden and there where no metal light fittings in property. I noted on cert that could not test loop due to no cpc. I gave customer copy of electrical safety council booklet about propertys with no cpc. You also have to put sticker on consumer unit about not putting metal fittings up. These are available from NICEIC.

batty

there is perhaps a way around the borrowed N.

if it worked for spmeone else here, and they see fit, perhaps they will post it on the tips and tricks section, if they think suitable.

:)

You also have to put sticker on consumer unit about not putting metal fittings up. These are available from NICEIC.batty
They are rather costly from there too. :(

But...

You can have them made up from "The Labelpeople" for far less. I even have a "

Interesting, Steps. I don't know who that is or I would have PM'd the person in question to see if they wanted to do as you suggest, above, Mate.

I have a good memory Blushing
Understatement of the firkin century.........

Admin - THE vet needs a distinguished title.....

Sensible suggestions please guys...

"post-finder general" springs to mind, but that has connotations of witch-hunting??????

Understatement of the firkin century.........Admin - THE vet needs a distinguished title.....

Sensible suggestions please guys...

"post-finder general" springs to mind, but that has connotations of witch-hunting??????
How about Apache changes his avatar to a mole? They are good at tunnelling :^O :^O;)

Can't do R1+R2, but can still do Line and Neutral so test that, and annotate cert to say so, or annotate to say limited testing only due to no earth.All accessories should be class 2, but don't think that includes back boxes, plus assuming new CU has full RCD protection, you have supplementary protection (think that's the right phrase) in place.

Borrowed neutral needs sorting.
Would a light switch need to have hidden screws as these would be extraneous conductive parts if fitted to a metal back box ??

Would a light switch need to have hidden screws as these would be extraneous conductive parts if fitted to a metal back box ??
DISCUSS,,,,,,

very good point, answers on a postcard please.

Im staying out of this for the time being, but I would tend to agree with that comment. ;)

DISCUSS,,,,,,very good point, answers on a postcard please.

Im staying out of this for the time being, but I would tend to agree with that comment. ;)
If we are saying that screws are a suitable conductor to carry fault current to earth to/from faceplate to back box then they could become live. MMM

Are the cosmetic screw caps approved protection against shock?

Is this why we put the earth on the back box????