CU jimmy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rug rat

Reaction score
Hi

I'm about to start training as a sparky - can't wait!!

Particularly as we need a new CU pretty damn quick - well ahead of my impending qualifications!!

Problem is - we have a well old tns 60 amp CU - and a 60amp supplier fuse (I took a peak as this was the only way to find out!!) I will get a sparky to fit the cu and test the instalation as we have just moved in and need more circuit ways asap as well as being at peak times well close to the 60 amps.

Problem - will the supplier simply replace the fuse if i ask nicely - or shall I buy one - or will it involve major cost? And how long may it take to do it if they have to?

We need an 80 or 100amp 17th friendly board I think.

Plus there is no MET - is this vital - currently the bonding is connected to the incoming sheath.

Really grateful for your help -looking forward to doing the same hopefully when I've done the knowledge and had some real world experience too.

Cheers guys (and gals?)

in all seriousness what makes you think you really need more than 60amps?

a 60a fuse is generally more than big enough to drive a normal house, or have you got a mega 17bed mansion, remember a 60a will happily run over 100a for a period.

my house is still currently on a 60 with 3036 fuses!!!! far better than some of your new fangled crap IMHO, at least I know the current break of them.!

Ive the same at my place with no problem .My meter is still the old dial type that says 40a on it but the supply company dont seem interested in changing it but it seems to cope alright even with 9.5 kw shower.

Thanks guys! - just done a bit of thinking properly as suggested and 60a actually seems OK.... but do need a new CU as need RCDs on most circuits. Can I get one with a 60a dp switch to match the supplier rating? They allseem to be 100amps?

Cheers again

Alex

Thanks guys! - just done a bit of thinking properly as suggested and 60a actually seems OK.... but do need a new CU as need RCDs on most circuits. Can I get one with a 60a dp switch to match the supplier rating? They allseem to be 100amps?Cheers again

Alex
The 100A is the rated current it can switch off when live with out the current arcing over the contacts. They only do one size as it works for all domestic supplies. Bigger IS better in this case! :^O

Latest posts