Curious

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairyspark

Reaction score
Evening All,

Found my self working in an old royal bank of Scotland today and was disconnecting and removing some items and I came across a load of these. I assume they were old fashion data-ish points but anyone shed some light? 4580B39E-BD2D-46C1-B09A-DE5CAE0F71FC.jpeg

The round ones are XLR sockets, commonly used for data (Disco lights still use them)
The white oblong ones I believe were actually designed so that you could have two sockets side by side in a single outlet box.
So as they were in a bank they must have been to plug in a data transmitting device, but using the oblong sockets so you could not plug anything other than the "data transmission device" in. They were made by "britmac"

info-.jpg

I thought they looked like XLR but didn’t know that it could have been used for data and yes they were Britmac boxes. I knew somebody in this forum would have know……..does anybody want any? 😂😂

3-pin XLR's are also used for professional audio, a couple of quid for used ones on auction sites.
Yes, and it can be a right nuisance keeping XLR audio cables and XLR lighting cables separate in a band environment because the cable types are very different. XLR cables for DMX lighting control uses twisted pairs for RS-485 serial data.

The area would have been for communications. The XLR for audio send (mic) and return for headphones. The rest has already been explained and is for power.