Customer want to save money!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemer

Reaction score
Customer wants to save money on a cellar conversion by not having his rewireable consumer unit upgraded and a Periodic Inspection.

My boss wants to help him save money by getting me to fit another board alongside the rewireable with it's own tails.

If I were to do this, (and it is possible as I have been given permission to pull main cut out) am I responsible then only for the extra board and bonding?

Erm.........possibly.

I`d do a couple of basic safety checks on the existing; before doing anything else.

However, you ARE adding to the installation; which means you should work max.dem. out anyway.........

Further thought - suppose the existing had polarity reversal, and you didn`t????

Technically - maybe. Personally - wouldn`t be happy.

Hope this helps.

KME

As far as i am aware m8 that since u were the last to "work on the system" then you are responsible for both CU's so u need to make sure the 1st one is ok too ........... thought it would be better to replace the rewireable one first as last tho innit not saving much since u have to spend time checking the existing CU. bit dull really ?? ho hum

As far as i am aware m8 that since u were the last to "work on the system" then you are responsible for both CU's so u need to make sure the 1st one is ok too ........... thought it would be better to replace the rewireable one first
OK..but I will not be touching the system on the rewireable...so how could I be responsible for it? I intended to feed the new extra board off new tails from a 100A Henly, and install earthing that complies. Extra board would then feed sockets and lights in cellar conversion.

Having had a look at the old rewireable CU, there are no spare ways available and I can see that it would need some remedial work on earthing. If I intended to work on it I feel that a definite PIR would have to be in order to show other deviations from the regs that I think are evident. That would cost more than the installation of an extra board. :D