Dead Desktop PC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was using my PC the other day and it died (RIP) :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|not even the fans or disk drives were running:_| :_| :_|. If I try and turn it on all that I get is a lit LED on the front, nothing else.... in this condition I have checked for voltage at the ATX connector and I am getting nothing at any of themX(X( X( .

Would I be right in saying that I need a new ATX PSU or could a catastrophic motherboard failure have caused this (I might take the PSU into a local computer shop and see if they have a tester for it) ?:| ? :| ?:|

Any ideas???

I thought it might be, so I'll get one in the next few days.

TBH I have been having problems with the pc, although it seemed to clear when I removed my modem and firewire cards (all slots sere full until then)!!! Being a bit more specific, during start up it would POST, but during Windows boot it would freeze or blue screen. After I removed the cards It booted no problem!!

One other thing about this current fault - I have just been on holiday and therefore turned the PC off (had been on 24-7 previously),,, this fault appeared less than 5 mins after turning it back on!!

Cheers Don,

I have looked at this option, but to be honest it would be a last resort as I would like to fix my current PC (if I can!!) and a replacement would have to wait for quite a while as I have other priorities - especially as I can make do with my laptop!!

Cheers Don,I have looked at this option, but to be honest it would be a last resort as I would like to fix my current PC (if I can!!) and a replacement would have to wait for quite a while as I have other priorities - especially as I can make do with my laptop!!
Ah, back up facilities as well.

Forward thinking (The Don has 3 PC's)

The Godfather

Whatever happened to good old pen & paper? :)

Seriously though, it does indeed sound like the PSU.

Can you give me all the info on the PSU sticker, I have about 40 in the loft that all work, may be able to help you out here mate.

It would only cost you the P&P.

Regards. Nige.

Recently replaced my four year old pc with new pc with windows vista business operating system. Trouble i have found lot of software won't run give me back windows xp.

batty