Deep fat fryer switch position

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaccui

Reaction score
Hi guys im hoping you can help. 

I was doing an Eicr in a golf club today and in the kitchen the deep fat fryer's 13 amp switch spur was directly behind it so i suggested to moving it to the side wall just in case of a fire so it could be turned off easier.

My question is does it actually need moved or am i being overly cautious and getting involved in something i dont need to. 

Regards 

Kenny

Unless it is prone to external influences such as heat or contamination I wouldn't worry about it. The general policy with regard to a fire situation is raise the alarm and get out because switching the fryer off is not going to change the situation. An electric deep fat fryer is not likely to combust the oil as they are regulated and the chances of the oil reaching a temperature where it can vaporize  and ignite from a naked flame are all but zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.

Fryers have both a control thermostat and an over-temperature cut out so it would take a double failure (plus inattention by the user), to reach flashpoint.

In the unlikely event it did, switching it off would be the least of your concerns.

If still doubtful, I reckon it's more a fire service issue than an electrical installation one.  It was the fire service who demanded extractor systems to shut down on alarm activation at a place I worked.

Hi guys im hoping you can help. 

I was doing an Eicr in a golf club today and in the kitchen the deep fat fryer's 13 amp switch spur was directly behind it so i suggested to moving it to the side wall just in case of a fire so it could be turned off easier.

My question is does it actually need moved or am i being overly cautious and getting involved in something i dont need to. 

Regards 

Kenny

What BS7671 regulation are you thinking is relevant to your evaluation?

If None..  

then it has no relevance on an EICR..

You are just assessing if the installation is satisfactory for continued use in relation to compliance with the current issue of BS7671.

There are frequently items that could have been installed in a different location that you would have preferred had you fitted the original item..

But just because you can think of a better solution than the current arrangement...

doesn't mean it requires any comment on an EICR..

You have to establish is there a danger present, with risk of injury requiring immediate attention?  (C1)... probably not...

or

is it potentially dangerous requiring urgent attention?   (C2)....  probably not...

or 

does it require further investigation?   (FI)...  not really...

or

are you suggesting an improvement is recommend?   (C3)

If "Yes"...

on what grounds?

your personal preference..  or a non compliance with BS7671?

Guinness

Thanks for the help guys. I was overthinking the issue and about to get involved in something I clearly didn't need to. 

Much appreciated