DeWalt cordless drill

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seisobs

Reaction score
Good morning

I bought a DeWalt drill model number DCD796D2 from Toolstation yesterday dor 149 pounds, on registering the drill I found out that is nearly 3 years old!  any ideas what I should do ? Return it or keep it.

Many thanks.

Jake

Good morning

I bought a DeWalt drill model number DCD796D2 from Toolstation yesterday dor 149 pounds, on registering the drill I found out that is nearly 3 years old!  any ideas what I should do ? Return it or keep it.

Many thanks.

Jake
If the warranty is 3 years from yesterday, is this a problem?

Do you mean its second hand?

Or just been sitting on a shelf for a while?

Excluding food most products we buy have been sitting in a warehouse / shop storeroom somewhere for a while..

Standard manufactures warranties are from purchase date, from your invoice date.. not manufacturing date..

Can't really see what you problem is?

i.e. you choose a product..

you buy it at what you think is a good price.. presumably?  :C

If its faulty you return it..

If its been bought in error and still in original unopened packaging then you can normally return for full refund within 30days..

If you have opened and registered it can't really see how it could be re-sold as new to another customer   ?

No different to buying a new car..

Warranty starts from date of first registration Not the date it rolls off the production line.

I have bought a lot of DeWalt stuff recently ( even an 18v heat gun!......brilliant for heat shrink )

anyway whenevere registering them they ask for the date manufacture code engraved on the item base. I assumed it was for the warranty registration....BUT they also ask for purchase date so I almost certainly wrong in my early morning musings

i seek forgiveness from the Forum elders  and doff my cap in shame whilst at the same time wringing said tonsorial adornment

thinking about it a bit more it's probably for recall porpoises 🐬 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply,  I have emailed DeWalt for advice, probably wont get a reply, a friend of mine bought the same model drill, same price from screwfix, the date stamp was 2020, still swithering what to do, the drill, batteries and charger look unused.

I was expecting to get a 2020 model, seems weird that the date stamp is 2018.

Warranty will run from date of purchase.

I am also a self confessed Dewalt *****, just got an impact driver from Screwfix 50% off, not that I need it...

And as per @kerching the heat gun is awesome for heat shrink, I use mine daily.

I like DeWalt......it's yellow 😂

Just awaiting my Tstak trolley from FFX

just also spent 2 hours rationalising my 18V collection into 

must carry

could be handy so must carry ( but make less accessible )

rarely need, leave at home

unfortunately very little fell into tier 3.... basically the circular saw and the trimmer/router

, the drill, batteries and charger look unused.

I was expecting to get a 2020 model, seems weird that the date stamp is 2018.
I'd have no problem with the drill itself  but looking at your post , I'm wondering about the shelf life of the battery ....is it fair to sell you a 3 yr old battery even if it is unused ?