dimmable led lamp making a noise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampedup

Reaction score
With this lamp I receive a low pitch buzzing sound which not that loud unless up close. It has always been this way. Is it likely to be the lamp's plug, as it's only with this device, on any socket. What is notable is that it only happens when the lamp is set to it's very brightest (it's a 16W device). Is this likely to be a low quality adapter that needs replacing, or not really an issue? Turning the lamp down or changing it's colour fixes the problem.

The only time I've had a similar query with a questionable adapter was when a computer power supply eventually smoked, so I suppose it's not a great sign, but unlike the lamp, nothing could be done to stop any odd sound coming from its supply before it eventually gave up.

Thanks for any info/guesses

Thanks for the reply. It gets louder in volume when the brightness increases. I'm assuming it's down to the adapter having to work harder or under stress at full brightness. I was thinking it was probably a quality control issue. Distancing the lamp from the mains more to double check, the sound is definitely from the mains adapter that's plugged into the mains socket.

A search online gives me different results when it comes to noises from mains power supplies, often relating a 'still safe' adapter to a high pitched sound (relating to coils or magnetic sheets), but this one is low in pitch.

I should mention that the power supply isn't a charger, the lamp is wired only and not portable.