Discrimation...

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

DonkeyDong

TEF Newbie
Reaction score
Heres one for a Friday night... :D

How do you guys deal with discrimation of RCDs with the 17th?

Previously Type S/Time delayed were quite popular, but you dont hear a mention of them now...

So for an example you might find in a domestic, you have a garage or out building which is fed from the house CU/DB. The circuit to the garage is RCD'ed due to cable depth/type (thanks 17th Ed). This runs to the shed which has a mini CU/DB with RCD - how do you achieve discrimation ?

Do you either not fit an RCD in the shed, or fit a Type S in the house (bearing in mind you can't get Type S RCBO's for domestic boards)

D.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Reaction score
Heres one for a Friday night... :D How do you guys deal with discrimation of RCDs with the 17th?

Previously Type S/Time delayed were quite popular, but you dont hear a mention of them now...

So for an example you might find in a domestic, you have a garage or out building which is fed from the house CU/DB. The circuit to the garage is RCD'ed due to cable depth/type (thanks 17th Ed). This runs to the shed which has a mini CU/DB with RCD - how do you achieve discrimation ?

Do you either not fit an RCD in the shed, or fit a Type S in the house (bearing in mind you can't get Type S RCBO's for domestic boards)

D.
apart from the fact that cant doesnt really exist apart from in the vocabulary of people that really mean to say they cant be bothered,

I think you should try different wholesalers.

Admin1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I'd go along with KME on this one.

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
Heres one for a Friday night... :D How do you guys deal with discrimation of RCDs with the 17th?

Time delay RCD's are still very common in industrial situations as well as 100mA, 300mA and 500mA RCD's.

DonkeyDong

TEF Newbie
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance.. :(

Can you please give me links to, or part numbers of Crabtree 30ma Type S RCBOs? Or MK or Wylex? I have looked and cant find them??

D.

DonkeyDong

TEF Newbie
Reaction score
Steptoe and mr sword - have either of you managed to find me the part numbers for a crabtree, or mk, or wylex type s 30ma rcbo yet?

I could do with tracking them down.

Many thanks,

D.

steptoe

Reaction score
Steptoe and mr sword - have either of you managed to find me the part numbers for a crabtree, or mk, or wylex type s 30ma rcbo yet? I could do with tracking them down.

Many thanks,

D.
sorry buddy, too much like actually doing something, I simply go to wholesalers and tell them what I want by next week, not always the correct sort but if it fits Im generally happy enough, I use hager quite a lot on 3ph and seems ok.

but your prob right about not easy to find, f uck ing UK regs to blame methinks.

Reaction score
Heres one for a Friday night... :D Previously Type S/Time delayed were quite popular, but you dont hear a mention of them now....
No longer required for TT systems hence not so available

So for an example you might find in a domestic, you have a garage or out building which is fed from the house CU/DB. The circuit to the garage is RCD'ed due to cable depth/type (thanks 17th Ed). This runs to the shed which has a mini CU/DB with RCD - how do you achieve discrimation ?.
Move circuit to non-rcd side of board and fit standalone RCD or RCBO, or change CU

Reaction score
You can't fit a time delayed RCD as you propose and still stay within the 17th regs.The only way you could have any discrimination is to have a smaller rcd tripping current at the load end. Steptoe will now get on his soap box and shout that the regs are a guide. Listen to him if you wish but only a 30mA rcd at the feed will suffice.

steptoe

Reaction score
You can't fit a time delayed RCD as you propose and still stay within the 17th regs.The only way you could have any discrimination is to have a smaller rcd tripping current at the load end. Steptoe will now get on his soap box and shout that the regs are a guide. Listen to him if you wish but only a 30mA rcd at the feed will suffice.
NO I wont, TBH its got a lot to do with the situation, and believe it or not in most domestic I will usually always stick to the regs, NA NA NA NAAA NA. :p

your prob very right about discrimination in 17th, suppose thats why we have to use high integrity boards and RCBOs so much now, :(