DIY Cable from Bungalow to outside garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not just DIYers, builders are not much better.  On a new build, I had SSE flatly refuse to put their incomer up through the blue mdpe "duct" that the builder had so conveniently provided for them......

It's not just DIYers, builders are not much better.  On a new build, I had SSE flatly refuse to put their incomer up through the blue mdpe "duct" that the builder had so conveniently provided for them......
Yes because from a digging point of view someone would think it was water to the house 

Yes because from a digging point of view someone would think it was water to the house 
There was somebody nearly got killed up here with something like that, apparently a contractor had installed a cable on behalf of the council or somebody, anyway he'd got hold of a load of this armoured cable with a blue outer sheath! He'd installed it and several months later someone was digging to take a branch off a water main, well you can guess the rest. 

There was somebody nearly got killed up here with something like that, apparently a contractor had installed a cable on behalf of the council or somebody, anyway he'd got hold of a load of this armoured cable with a blue outer sheath! He'd installed it and several months later someone was digging to take a branch off a water main, well you can guess the rest. 
Blue SWA cable, sounds like someone has used a cable meant for Intrinsically Safe circuits.

Blue SWA cable, sounds like someone has used a cable meant for Intrinsically Safe circuits.
No idea where it came from, somebody said he'd bought a load of stuff in from abroad, what it did throw up though was the guy had no idea that there was a code for stuff buried in the ground. Yellow for gas, blue for water, red for HV cable, black for LV cable, grey for telecoms and green for catv. I don't think he got any more work after that one.

Mind you I was once asked to install a load of cctv on a site, I spec'd everything out for them regarding ducting and cable chambers and columns, I went back later after  getting a call to say everything was ready, the ducting turned out to be 25mm plastic gas pipe, the cable chambers were manholes, and the camera columns ended up being old street lamps, because it was cheaper! needless to say that was one job I didn't end up doing. 

Going well off thread here but I'm sure there's a thread somewhere here years back where 15 & 22mm copper was used as "decorative" conduit.