DIY Solar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really interesting, as that makes a massive financial difference. Does the rate you pay for importing leccy vary over the day also?
No mine does not you can get a variable rate they are experimenting with it now giving customers free electricity in exchange of not using leccy between certain hours to lower grid demand. You can get a lower night rate for charging BEV but you cant have that and variable export. They are also trialling in south east I think feeding leccy from BEV in exchange of some benefits. The idea being using BEV to reduce number of power stations needed but I would not see that idea flying as who would want ones car battery being used that way and what would the car manufacturers say in event of warranty claim. Lots of stuff like building virtual grid going on out there

No mine does not you can get a variable rate they are experimenting with it now giving customers free electricity in exchange of not using leccy between certain hours to lower grid demand. You can get a lower night rate for charging BEV but you cant have that and variable export. They are also trialling in south east I think feeding leccy from BEV in exchange of some benefits. The idea being using BEV to reduce number of power stations needed but I would not see that idea flying as who would want ones car battery being used that way and what would the car manufacturers say in event of warranty claim. Lots of stuff like building virtual grid going on out there
smart grid utilising car batteries - been under discussion for many years, after all cars have around 40kW and more. Trouble is you need to enusre you have enough battery left in case you need to go somwhere at short notice.

Forgot to ask, are they offering the variable tariff at a decent rate for x years?

I think you wont find an MCS installer to sign off work they haven't done. I was told one of their directives is that they aren't allowed to do it.

Forgot to ask, are they offering the variable tariff at a decent rate for x years?
The variable rate is just that and linked to wholesale price you can get a day variable rate cheaper at non peak times and dearer at peak times to encourage non peak usage. You can with Octopus move to different tariff whenever you want so is very flexible. Don't know if they are taking on new customers but if anyone interested in switching to them can give you a code where we both get £50 credited to our accounts

lead acid maybe cheaper, but, lack the charge cycles of lithium, so overall lithium does work out cheaper in the long run. It's also not so easy to find a battery charger for lead acid, as all the soalr units are designed to work with lithium.
My Solis Hybrid can be switched to do lead acid on the menu! Why anyone would want to use lead acid now unless they have been given them is beyond me ;-)

My Solis Hybrid can be switched to do lead acid on the menu! Why anyone would want to use lead acid now unless they have been given them is beyond me ;-)
So can my Delios inverter but as mentioned in earlier reply it is much easier to include a wind turbine with a LA set up but would guess it should be possible with Li as. Zhyphen do systems for off grid incorporating solar UPS and wind and presume they are using Li.