DIY'r - Replacing bathroom sink - pipework has earth clamps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sattrudy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to replace 2 sinks (bathroom + toilet) with new ones. I've acquainted myself with several tutorials about how to carry out this task by binge watching plumbing videos. However, the presence of the earth clamps are throwing me off.
My questions is how do I approach this task given the presence of the earth clamps. I intend to replace the sink and change the isolation valves for new, the isolation valves are right next to earth clamps which have a sign "do not remove". In the second photo the isolation valves sit right above the clamps...which I don't want to disturb in any way. I have zero knowledge about things concerning electric wires etc... so wanted to be well informed before deciding whether to DIY or call in a professional.
Could anyone be of any assistance, a very detailed explanation of the precautions/method I would need to take would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I've attached photos of my bathroom and toilet under-sink setup. IMG_2602.JPGIMG_2564.JPGIMG_2600 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2600.JPG
    IMG_2600.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
do you need to remove the earth clamps? there looks to be enough room to replace the isolating valves like for like without removing the earth clamps
just don't use any PVC pipework

The one with the clamps below the service valves looks to me that you don't need to disturb the bonding clamps at all. The other one I would be inclined to buy two new clamps and fit them exactly as the old ones are, probably on a new bit of copper pipe as well; (much easier than messing about cleaning old pipe and fittings for re-use). There is nothing to be frightened of in refitting those; it's probably the simplest part of the job.

Plumbing hint: When fitting new service valves make sure that the ring on existing/re-used pipe seats properly into the valve. The recess depth on a lot of modern valves isn't as deep as old ones.

To be quite honest the earth clamps are probably unnecessary. If the copper is continuous why would you need earth clamps everywhere?

To be quite honest the earth clamps are probably unnecessary. If the copper is continuous why would you need earth clamps everywhere?

that would depend on a lot of other things being in place, sometimes the hot and cold pipes are not electrically connected, and how would a DIY'er know if the pipes are continuous copper or not ,
with the info we have here, its best to put back what's taken out ,
The other one I would be inclined to buy two new clamps and fit them exactly as the old ones
this is a easy job, but its crucial to the safety of the people using the bathroom and must be done correctly

Hi all, thanks for the replies.
As pointed out in one of the replies, it is an easy job but crucial to do this correctly, with that being said if I was to get a professional to do this what do you think is a reasonable charge?

what do you think is a reasonable charge?

Too many variables to give even a vague answer.:(
We don't know what part of London you are in, we do not know the going rate, oh and London, there is always the parking. (Oh it will only be a 10 minute job, it never is, and it only takes 3 minutes to give you an £80 ticket)
Best to phone round and ask, that way, no guesses and you will have the answer you need.