Do we need to rethink electricity supplies?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpend

"It Just Is"
Reaction score
So this cable has broken down that goes from France to Uk and electricity prices are going through the roof, which got me to look at our total demand, which led to this 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1006701/DUKES_2021_Chapter_5_Electricity.pdf

what got me more than anything was the losses? Page two? Is it really that inefficient to produce electricity and if so why haven’t we changed the way we do it? 
Or have I misinterpreted what I’m seeing? 

its not ineffiency of power stations, its loses in the power lines etc. think voltage drop and heating of the cables

similar to how we have that energy effiency lettuced in the appendix of 7671, basically reduce losses by using larger cables etc

Yes I am aware,  so wouldn’t it be more efficient if we had many localised generation stations serving a smaller area, would it be cheaper to build rather than looking at massive nuclear plants and having such a high loss ratio?

just thinking out aloud! 

Some small localised generating plant have been built. I'm aware of two near me but they are gas fired.  Allegedly there to absorb peak demands

Local belief is that they were built when and because of nearby surveying for fracking was ongoing.

I've no idea if that's true but the nimbys with the help of rent a mob killed off the fracking at least for now.

Yes I am aware,  so wouldn’t it be more efficient if we had many localised generation stations serving a smaller area, would it be cheaper to build rather than looking at massive nuclear plants and having such a high loss ratio?

just thinking out aloud! 

it's part of why I like soalr panels on houses - generation at point of use. Just think how much Co2 that represents. Rolls Royce were talking about micro nuclear localised power stations, I'm not sure how far they have got with that? 

Some small localised generating plant have been built. I'm aware of two near me but they are gas fired.  Allegedly there to absorb peak demands

Local belief is that they were built when and because of nearby surveying for fracking was ongoing.

I've no idea if that's true but the nimbys with the help of rent a mob killed off the fracking at least for now.

I can understand why people don't like fracking, apart from the mini earthquakes, pumping chemicals into the ground to release the gas just strikes me as making a big problem for the future akin to DDT or PCBs.

We have a small gas power station in Plymouth, installed to meet peak demands. We also have a waste to power incinerator, nit exactly environmentally friendly, but letting rubbish rot in a hole releasing methane strikes me as far worse

We have a small gas power station in Plymouth, installed to meet peak demands. We also have a waste to power incinerator, nit exactly environmentally friendly, but letting rubbish rot in a hole releasing methane strikes me as far worse

Absolutely, We've got once of those here, though I don't know why they built it as one big complex having the admin offices within the same structure of as the plant.... often the corridors and offices smell... nice...!