Do You Spend Lots Of Time Finding Parts And Comparing Prices From Suppliers?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hflowerdewFM

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I'm an electrician based in Essex and waste so much time hunting down and picking up parts from my local suppliers I was thinking of a way I could make less time consuming.

I’ve come up with an idea, and wanted to see what you guys think and if it could be helpful at all for you guys?

The idea is basically a free service where you would call or text 1 number with a list of the items you needed and your current location. 15-30minutes later, we’d get back to you with the prices from all the suppliers you work with (+more), and the distance of each supplier from your location.

I'm thinking the service can help save time phoning multiple suppliers to check stock or prices and save driving time by recommending the closest supplier.

Would love to see if this is helpful for you? If you think it would, please let me know here! 

Thanks a lot guys, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Humphrey

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for that to,work, and you to make money ( not on advertising ) then the suppliers that submits the prices. ANd later on the supplier that actually fulfils the order MUST be paying you a cut, yes?

If so,I would prefer to think that my suppliers offered me the best available price at the time. If later on I found that I had been spanked then I WOULD NOT be making that supplier my first port of call in the future. My plan may well,be flawed....but it has worked for 40+ years to date

CEF and Edmondsons fell off my prefered suppliers list decades ago....they contact me begging to get back on...it won't happen. IF I have to lower myself to trade with them then I will pay cash AND Expect a discount.

Yes, I know, MM is distantly related to Edmundsons...but that does not count

Just saying

I would LOVE someone to offer that service AND deliver the stuff to me at whatever location in the Highlands I am working at.  Bear in mind I can be 2 hours away from the nearest wholesaler.

generally I pik a wholeslaer I like and stick with them, then push for the prices to drop, so they end up with 90% of my business and I know the prices are good.

Hey everyone

I'm an electrician based in Essex and waste so much time hunting down and picking up parts from my local suppliers I was thinking of a way I could make less time consuming.

I’ve come up with an idea, and wanted to see what you guys think and if it could be helpful at all for you guys?

The idea is basically a free service where you would call or text 1 number with a list of the items you needed and your current location. 15-30minutes later, we’d get back to you with the prices from all the suppliers you work with (+more), and the distance of each supplier from your location.

I'm thinking the service can help save time phoning multiple suppliers to check stock or prices and save driving time by recommending the closest supplier.

Would love to see if this is helpful for you? If you think it would, please let me know here! 

Humphrey
Please refrain from advertising or linking your website on TEF.

This is a breach of our terms and conditions which you agreed to when you signed up.

If you continue down this route you will be banned.

Should you wish sponsor information and rates then please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does work is the way most repair garages work .   They never quite know what parts will be needed for your car , often models have different engines fitted , different brakes etc .  So they strip it down , make sure what they need, phone one of the carparts suppliers , who send one of their many vans round , usually promptly , sign here .  No mechanics driving around searching for parts , they'd never make a living  TBH

Even up here they do that, though they only get one delivery a day so if you have missed it you will have to wait until tomorrow.

BUT they also do parts on supply or return, so the mechanic orders parts he might need as well as what he is sure he needs, knowing if they don't get used they go back and are not charged.

I'm an electrician based in Essex and waste so much time hunting down and picking up parts from my local suppliers I was thinking of a way I could make less time consuming..........

........15-30minutes later, we’d get back to you with the prices from all the suppliers you work with (+more), and the distance of each supplier from your location.

So....

Your an electrician who wastes time getting parts for yourself...

so the solution is...

Waste even more time getting prices for other people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ????????

:coat

default_Fell%20off%20of%20my%20chair.gif

:C

i can think of a ton of reasons why it would not work

I can think of two tons of reasons why its daft!

Guinness

Why is it that people can't find their own job/work these days and think they can ride on the back of somebody else's hard graft?

If you're having difficulty sourcing your own materials then I suggest that you get better organised because it's rarely that difficult.

Hey everyone

Humphrey
Mr Flowerdew  you need to get yourself sorted  regardeing this  to be honest .    Sourcing materials is the job of your wholesaler , who should be giving you some decent discounts anyway .

I've seen many sparks over the years become obsessed with getting an extra % discount on something from another supplier but can't see that they have spent half a day driving about , queueing at counters etc  when they should be onsite .

I have a good friend at a wholesaler who looks after me.

Drilling a 100mm hole for his extractor at his house for free has given me the best discounts I could ever ask for.