dodgy PIR's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
done a job for someone about 2 years ago - new DB/earthing & few sockets.

now been asked to price a PIR for this place, along with a few other properties. none of them have any earth go gas/water expect where i worked at 2 years ago, yet he has satisfactory PIR's for all from 5 years ago! each cert is marked as gas/water being done in 10mm

What's really disappointing is that these people get away with doing work like this

What's really disappointing is that these people get away with doing work like this
It's really cheating the client. As they do seem none the wiser in a lot of cases . The genuine scheme members could get tarred with the same brush as not doing a proper test . It does need tighter control so the client is protected and the scheme member also .

i pointed out the lack of earthing/RCD's etc whilst i was there, and that it would be unsatisfactory unless they are done, so will price to install this. he then showed me the previous PIRs which all said everything was fine. he understands they were not done properly before

unfortunately you'll always find this :(

In the last two weeks i've done some pat'ing - where class 1 kit had been passed when it had no earth. Table lamps had been passed with 13a fuses, melted plug top - list goes on.

I also did some remedial work at an industrial machine shop, been brought in by the owner as the tenant had been complaining about state of the electrics. The tenants electrician had been installing 3phase machines for several years at the place - there are no meb's and incorrect fuses - he had the cheek to whine about trunking missing its lids and other minor stuff - he never checked for the required bonds! :(

O.

A while ago I was asked by the area manager of a local large estate agents if I was interested in doing surveys for them on empty properties, how long will they take and how much.

I told him 1/2 day , at whatever my rate was then, written report issued.

He told me to forget it, their usual bloke,one of our friends for whom English is not their first language , charges

report the barsteward what issued them - NICey will be very interested to know about this if its one of their contractors.
Here here!

They CLAIM to come down heavy on impersonators, but, if it is just an unhappy customer it is down to the customer to complain.