Does a powerpack need pat testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyM

Reaction score
I have a portable powerpack that I take with me to craft shows to plug in my lights/mobile charger etc. I take it home each night and re-charge it at home for the show the following day. Do I need it, or my appliances that plug into it at the show to be PAT tested? The shows ask for appliances to be PAT tested, but I don't know if that is necessary if I'm not plugging anything into their system, or a generator.

Many thanks
Shelley

PAT..
is one of those areas with a higher than average amount of myths and totally incorrect assumptions..

A lot of PAT safety requirements can be met by visual checks carried out by the person who normal uses the equipment....
and who has the most knowledge about when and where the product was last used..

Items that are double insulated, with NO requirement for an earth connection, have significantly reduced PAT requirements..
And remember PAT is primarily to ensure employers maintain safety to their employees from electrical related faults..

If.. you are NOT an employee..
Then legal requirements can vary!!

See HSE guidance for further info....
https://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm

An odd one this, though it can't be unprecedented, if anyone knows of similar situations or parallels. The risks appear minimal, BUT -
It can plug into the mains, (to charge), so is an appliance.
In use, it can produce a lethal voltage. (230volt output)
The user it taking it into a public environment. (It doesn't need to be a work environment, remember the "ETC " in the regulations title.)
On balance I think it probably should be checked