Does new cooker hood need a fused spur fitting?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christ0

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here and am a part-time DIYer. I do understand a bit about electrical wiring but with the regulations being so comprehensive, I tend stay away from anything other than rewiring a plug. I have added fused spurs and additional sockets to kitchens in the past though.

I am just about to replace a cooker hood. The old hood had a moulded 13A plug which was plugged into a 13A outlet about 9" from the ceiling above the hood. This socket connects back to the consumer unit in a kitchen cupboard about 4 feet away. It connects to the ring main as has RCD protection.

The new cooker hood is a class 2 non-earthed unit with bare live and neutral. Can I just add a 13A plug to it and fit a 3A fuse or do I need an additional dedicated fused spur?

I'm quite happy to pay for a qualified electrician to fit this if it's absolutely necessary.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Christ0

Thanks for the reply steptoe.

Well that's what I thought. After all isn't a fused plug as good as a fused spur? It's 7ft up the wall out the way and the switch will be accessible if need be.

BTW, I always use unswitched sockets for this sort of stuff, 

There is a very good reason, but I'll not bore you with the technical aspect of why. 

BTW, I always use unswitched sockets for this sort of stuff, 

There is a very good reason, but I'll not bore you with the technical aspect of why. 
go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, ..... you know you want to.