doing my head in......new lights + 17th

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Been asked by a kitchen/bathroom company....

can i remove some sockets and replace a strip light with 4 downlighters by the end of the week.

do i need to rcd the new lights under 17th ??

rewireable wylex board x2

Been asked by a kitchen/bathroom company....can i remove some sockets and replace a strip light with 4 downlighters by the end of the week.

I think the answer is yes but 'I know nothing' (in a poor spanish accent)

Having the same problem, the way I read it is that as long as there are no switch drops, and as the cables will be under the floor/above the ceiling then it shouldnt matter???

If system is tns ot tncs maybe your best option would be to install earthed metal conduit in wall that way no Rcd protection would be needed. Assuming it isn't already. Some of these companies don't want to pay out to much.

Although you didn't say which room it is in.

batty

Bathroom :_|

just need to extend from the ceiling rose

no new wall wiring as it were

only power in the bathroom is for the lights

well if you wire it in 10mm n put it on a 40 amp breaker thet will be ok? :|

and also you could put some bigger lights in too

or pull circuit through its own rcbo just above consumer unit

tell them to pay up for the best job or walk away (10mm 40amp mcb dont you think:^ O)

just a bit of fun from the iee

Been asked by a kitchen/bathroom company....can i remove some sockets and replace a strip light with 4 downlighters by the end of the week.

Unless you are installing switch drops i.e. cables <50mm deep in the walls the lighting job does not need to be rcd protected.

As to whether the removal of sockets would require rcd protection - that would depend on how you are going to do the removal. If the drops come straight down the wall from the ceiling and you by-pass a drop by installing a junction box in the ceiling then no rcd would be required.

Unless you are installing switch drops i.e. cables <50mm deep in the walls the lighting job does not need to be rcd protected.In a bathroom, it DOES mate!

As to whether the removal of sockets would require rcd protection - that would depend on how you are going to do the removal. If the drops come straight down the wall from the ceiling and you by-pass a drop by installing a junction box in the ceiling then no rcd would be required.
RCD still req`d - because we`re STILL in a bathroom!

Hang on i thought all circuits in bathrooms have to have 30mA RCD protection for 17th edition.batty
You`d be correct, mate.

well if you wire it in 10mm n put it on a 40 amp breaker thet will be ok? :| NOT

and also you could put some bigger lights in too

or pull circuit through its own rcbo just above consumer unit

That would work.

tell them to pay up for the best job or walk away (10mm 40amp mcb dont you think:^ O)

just a bit of fun from the iee
Theo - I`d be bunging the D/L`s on an rcbo, OR RCD spur if you can mount one in an appropriate yet accessible position?

they do, so as he is in fact adding another 3 lights into the bathroom they will need to be rcd protected

Talking about home life. (err indoors)batty
AH.

Sorry mate. It`s the price you pay for living with a female:

Can`t live with `em.....................and can`t live with `em.

(n.b. this refers to "typical" females. Some females are classed as "honorary blokes", as they do not exhibit the "strange" ways of the average female. If, like Mrs. KME & AD2, you fall into this category (I would assume it also includes Ms. Larf; but don`t know for sure), thrn you will have laughed at this the same way the male readers did.

If you tutted, and muttered "chauvinist" under you breath, you would be a "typical" female. Sorry!

AH.Sorry mate. It`s the price you pay for living with a female:

Can`t live with `em.....................and can`t live with `em.

(n.b. this refers to "typical" females. Some females are classed as "honorary blokes", as they do not exhibit the "strange" ways of the average female. If, like Mrs. KME & AD2, you fall into this category (I would assume it also includes Ms. Larf; but don`t know for sure), thrn you will have laughed at this the same way the male readers did.

If you tutted, and muttered "chauvinist" under you breath, you would be a "typical" female. Sorry!
I can't complain it takes a good woman to put up with a self employed electrician.

batty

Unless you are installing switch drops i.e. cables <50mm deep in the walls the lighting job does not need to be rcd protected.As to whether the removal of sockets would require rcd protection - that would depend on how you are going to do the removal. If the drops come straight down the wall from the ceiling and you by-pass a drop by installing a junction box in the ceiling then no rcd would be required.
whether you are installing new drops or not..

on your certificate..

are you not signing that the circuit you have modified complies with current regs!

other unaltered circuits remain as is..

But your modified circuit all aspect should be to current regs!

what maz Zs values or Volt drop or R1+R2 Ins res, earth continuity etc..

surely these encompass the whole circuit.. not just your new bits of cable??

just add and extra