domestic smoke alarm certs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathelect

Domestic Installer
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the minimum decibel level should be in a bedroom of a domestic house, 2 smokes,(1 up, 1 down). Pray

extract from HMSO - fire risk assessment in sleeping accomodation.

The fire warning sound levels should be

loud enough to alert everyone, taking into

account background noise. In areas with high

background noise, or where people may be

wearing hearing protectors, the audible warning

should be supplemented, e.g. with visual alarms.

In sleeping areas, to ensure that people are

woken, a sufficient sound level should be

achieved at the head of the bed (i.e. 75dBA).

HTH

KME

Thanks for all the info gents, its really appreciated, dave Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink, have a guiness on me ?????????

At the bed head 65db, if they are hearing impaired vibration unit under the pillow.

Not required for normal domestic premises, only nursing homes and multi occupation i.e. hotels.

Built in sounders on the detector bases is now the norm .

decent 10 year battery devices supplied by the fire brigade now on thier home assements. (free) even fitted. ]:)

At the bed head 65db, if they are hearing impaired vibration unit under the pillow.Not required for normal domestic premises, only nursing homes and multi occupation i.e. hotels.

Built in sounders on the detector bases is now the norm .

decent 10 year battery devices supplied by the fire brigade now on thier home assements. (free) even fitted. ]:)
The use of dwellings is covered by BS5839 Part 6 and I'm not sure what the level is at the bed head though.

As an ex FA engineer we used Part 1 which is for all other applications (hotels, Student Accm, Nursing etc) states

'The sound should not permanently damage hearing but it should be a minimum of 65dBA or 5dBA above any background noise likely to exceed 30 seconds. Should excessive noise be present, a visual indication of the alarm condition should also be provided. If the alarm is to wake sleeping occupants, such as in a hotel, the sound level should be a minimum of 75dBA at the bedhead. Sound level frequencies should normally be kept within the range of 500 to 1,000Hz'

If it is 65db for dwellings does this mean we sleep lighter at home than in a hotel :z :)

Oh and the sound level is reduced by approximately 20dBA by a door and by approximately 30dBA by a fire door.

thanks for that ian, thats good & useful information, regards dave

Im a firefighter and we are told by are brigade to only fit them with sticky back tape which i dont class as fitted :D were not aloud to screw them up just incase we screw into a wire even though i am a spark as well :D .

But do get ur local fire service to do a home assesment well worth it guys.

West Glamorgan Fire Service are even giving out Electric Deep Fat Fryers too. Bless 'em. :x

Domestic alarms are tested by BSI to generate 85db at 3 metres.

Latest posts