domestic smoke alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
hi there guys.

I know with smoke alarms you should have no more than 7.5metres away from one and other.

But a couple of years a buliding inspector told us to put 3 smokes in 1 area of 3metres as they had drops of more than 300mm.

So from then on we do that but i was just wondering if you guys do that as well, if thats the case theres no such thing as 7.5 metre between them if u can put 3 in 3 metres.

hope iv explained it well enough.

Well I could be wrong, but it's the first time I've ever heard that one..

:|

I have never heard of that before but the requirments for smokes are

1 At least one per floor

2 within 7m of kitchens and living rooms or other areas where fires may start

3 within 3m of all bedroom doors

I have never heard of that before but the requirments for smokes are 1 At least one per floor

2 within 7m of kitchens and living rooms or other areas where fires may start

3 within 3m of all bedroom doors
The BCO might be confusing item 2, cheggers..

:D :eek:

Ive had this before, but not on a domestic.

if there is an RSJ or similar that splits a ceiling by more than a 300mm drop then its class as a smoke break/different room!

yet another stoopid rule....

I had the same thing many years ago at an old folks home, three houses knocked together. The fire officer then notionally the council chap but actually the fire brigade guy , wanted extra detectors at changes in ceiling heights ,generally corridors formed by knocking through,the logic being that smoke or heat rises and will take time to climb under an obstruction. The fire brigade bloke was ok, he also asked for an extra sounder in the laundry room as it was behind two doors , he thought the sound level was low, again reasonable comment. I think the sound level at the time was something like 65db at the bed head, he said he was not that bothered about measuring that, as if he thought it loud ,that was good enough for him, and anyway we just pick up all the old ladies handbags and they follow us out.

I had an aerial distribution system in the same building, set up in one loft, nice boards to walk to it, big board fastened to the king post, at kneeling height, with all the splitter amps on it, unfortuately the plumber had only brought the soil pipe vent into the oft and not out above it, a situation that had me virtually jumping out of the loft quite a few times.

Ramble over

OOh!!!Thanks Steps; didn`t know that one. Notation made to my notes IAW your info.
IAW...?

i think its good... ?:|

my info isnt always PC tho, and TBH most of it is simply based on what Ive come across.

BC can sometimes be a royal pain in the butt, I think its mostly caused by some1 taking the regs literally and not considering the circumstances.

1st time I had this prob the guy was prob right in the way he explained it to me.

room was about 20m X15m and split by RSJs that dropped about 2' into room, so I understood his point, but he was happy enough to have the detectors in a zig-zag at least one in each division.

some of them just split hairs to try and justify their stoopidly overpaid jobs. X(

but I have had a guy wanted 2 in a room that had a 18" partial arch between the rooms, and a full height doorway,(no door actually fitted or ever to be in the design wasnt practical),!!!

Perhaps there should be more smoke alarms in the domestic environment.

This would then avoid any building irregularities, as mentioned here.

The average smoke alarm (mains/battery) is less than

I think the usual quote is:

'If you think Health and Safety is expensive try having an accident'