Domestic solar PV pro's & Cons.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can binky, but no one will pay the costs!

Possibly a lot to do with electrolytic caps drying out.

It is possible to design and manufacture an inverter with an expected 25 yr life.

Thing is no one is sure yet, but the technology is there and bar for the output voltages it has been around for long enough.

Thing is many companies are very risk averse these days.

The inverter manufacturer I used to work for was very pro-active and, was a bit like M$ and would release beta devices then support then FOC for a protracted period, this gave us VERY valuable info.

Thing is this is not PC now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thus is very much a knock-on affect from cheap Chinese manufacturing - it hits the quaity of engineering, dragging everthing down to the lowest common denominator.

The only inverters with a decent life are Enecsys micro-inverters which they have engineered with reliable components, and warranty for 20 years. It's not as though the reliability of components isn't well known, I used to build military equipment and sub-sea telephine stuff, all with 25 year life spans.

The bit about having to replace inverters is very interesting - you would have thought someone could make a unit that lasts 25 years.
You'd think so!!! Here is my Victron Inverter only 5 years old and seen no more the 8 weeks use in all that time as the boat was moslty on a shoreline.

DSCF1325.jpg

Hi Ian, do you sail mate or is it a motorboat? Ive been brought up on boats and have nearly finished my first project. Started from hull and deck and done a total refit on a 23' small yacht.

Nah Matty its a Narrowboat, this was our home moored at the bottom of the garden while we built the house.

but unless you have it actually isolated from the supply it is still 'working' .
Don't know enough about it to be honest, yes the battery switch was in the on position but the units front switch was in the off position so I don't know what that isolates guess it