Don't Upset The Customer...!

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

Reaction score
This is probably is obvious to the more mature sparks on here...

But maybe some of the younger or recent start-ups havent come across these embarassing situations when working in furnished domestic properties....

[ Keep the house clean.]

We all know to keep the work area tidy,

and to clean up when we have finished..

but even silly things like wiping your feet on the customers own doormat can make a real mess if you are walking in & our frequently..

especially if it is a wet day or the ground is damp.

I keep various dust sheets and always make sure I have a large sheet available to use inside the front door, Over the customers door mat to wipe my feet on, as well as the one in the work area.

You only need to go out a few times before the sheet is realy grubby.. (this mess would of been on the customers floor!)

Especially important if you are at a property with CU in garage (risk of oil & grease of garage floor),

or outside (damp & grit off the drive & path)

and you need to walk in & out a lot...

say doing a PIR??

or investigating a fault??

I also keep some of those plastic over-shoe elasticated bag things..

elspecially if going upstairs into bedrooms... or house has pale coloured carpets!

They dont cost a lot, take a couple of seconds to pop on and the customer is dead chuffed you have kept their nice carpet clean. :)

[ Dont Damage The Ornaments! ]

If you are chasing down to or cutting in a switch or socket on an internal wall...

Double check there are no ornaments on the other side of the wall!!

e.g.

pictures perched on small nails (only just plaster depth)

mirrors, ornamental plates or similar.

statues or glass on top of cabinets leaning against the wall.

The vibration & bangin can be sufficient to cause items to move/slip or fall on the floor!! :| :_|

It gets a bit embarassing when you have to pay for a damaged item which you could of moved easily before you started bangin hammerin & drillin: :(

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
A clean pair of overalls always sets a good image and if you need to listen to music then use earphones!

Reaction score
A clean pair of overalls always sets a good image and if you need to listen to music then use earphones!
Very True Mr S.

It don't cost much to keep smart nowerdays..

I also keep a couple of pairs of overalls on the go..

the old pair for the more mucky jobs.

and the newer pair for the smart appearnce jobs.

obviously as the old pair get to tatty just do a bit of

'overall rotation' old go in bin, previous new become old.

buy new new pair:D

A point often forgoten is what you look like to the neigbours when you are working at your customer..

Most nosey neigbours will see you & often enquire what your doin..

then you can end up chattin & leaving a buisness card..

"First Impressions" good advertising!! :)

extension15

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very True Mr S.It don't cost much to keep smart nowerdays..

I also keep a couple of pairs of overalls on the go..

the old pair for the more mucky jobs.

and the newer pair for the smart appearnce jobs.

obviously as the old pair get to tatty just do a bit of

'overall rotation' old go in bin, previous new become old.

buy new new pair:D

A point often forgoten is what you look like to the neigbours when you are working at your customer..

Most nosey neigbours will see you & often enquire what your doin..

then you can end up chattin & leaving a buisness card..

"First Impressions" good advertising!! :)
I think it's difficult to look clean, smart or whatever in this trade, when your bashing/in loft spaces/outside in the mud for example (and cutting out downlight holes)..............

Doing the job right and being civilised are far more important issues, in what is a dirty job..

:D

Reaction score
All agreed.

As for impressions - keep the outside of the van clean & tidy. WE know that you need a flask of coffee, a compass and a map to get anything from inside; but a dirty van, or clouds of black smoke, or even an oil leak on the customer`s driveway, spoils the otherwise wholesome happy image you have created.

sparky999

Reaction score
Yeah i remember in my first couple of months and i was chisleng a hole for a double socket just right of a window and i was getting on with the job and then suddenley an old vase type bowl crashed down beside me, o dear erm boss what shall we do now haha, so now do a quick visual of the area and behind it hehe.

But other than that i agree with the point apperance and looking smart and taking time to talk to neighbours where your working or where your doing the work because maybe one day they could be my customers.

wally

Reaction score
If your good, word soon gets around. It is not uncommon for me to do 3 rewires in one road & this has happened on a number of occasions. I remember early 80s when I did 7 rewires in 1 road & they were all large 3 story plus basement. I agree with putting down dust sheets. It gives a great impression when looking at a job to put one down near the door.

Latest posts