doom and gloom.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doom and gloom ???

my partner has got 4 new clients this month

three of her customers had sealed new contracts with new customers

another has had to take on more staff and he is a block paver ??

go figure

it has been said that the this country is a victim of 'negative media reporting'

and has anyone noticed that the FTSE had gained all week and the Dow Jones/Nasdaq are still falling ??

I agree with all of you about the negative reporting and its consequences - a particularly destructive form of self-fulfilling prophesy. Sadly the news media thrives on the dissemination of bad news. The collapse of a business will receive far more column-inches of paper or air-time than the announcement that a company is setting up a manufacturing plant and employing 1500 workers. Good news does not sell newspapers.

The fact that so many banks have had such poor judgement when assessing the risks to which they have exposed their businesses and customers to has not helped.

It will take a lot to convince me that there were no warning signs a year or more ago within Woolworths and MFI that problems were looming. Large businesses do not collapse in a couple of weeks. It is interesting that Theo Paphitis (of Dragon's Den) was interested in Woolworths, but that no agreement could be found for his involvement. I do wonder what the losses under his proposed rescue plan would have been; surely they would have been much less than under the present total closure?

Pyro.

i agree. without media this would of blown over months ago. :(
Well I beg to differ...

And yes the media never helps (in these times)...

But sadly the finances of this country's downfall is Global and out of control..

:_|

Ext

you are right on that score

going back to the doom and gloom......

a new video has been released of the Mcann child to renew the search for her right before Christmas !!!!!!!!!!

this previously unreleased footage appears now.......question i have is why was it not shown at the start of the disappearence ????? she is almost a year older now ????

mmm......

Ext you are right on that score

going back to the doom and gloom......

a new video has been released of the Mcann child to renew the search for her right before Christmas !!!!!!!!!!

this previously unreleased footage appears now.......question i have is why was it not shown at the start of the disappearence ????? she is almost a year older now ????

mmm......
Parents did it

oh yes i agree

and the Portugese police think that,,,,you cant tell me that all the 'mistakes' they made were mistakes

rattle the tree see what falls out

I agree with all of you about the negative reporting and its consequences - a particularly destructive form of self-fulfilling prophesy. Sadly the news media thrives on the dissemination of bad news. The collapse of a business will receive far more column-inches of paper or air-time than the announcement that a company is setting up a manufacturing plant and employing 1500 workers. Good news does not sell newspapers.
Only this past few weeks a friend of someone I know was trying to get some interest with our local "free" weekly paper..

Celebrating a small local firm's 20th anniversary..

they now employ 15 people.. have a good order book & had some promotional pens balloons t-shirts etc.. made..

Newspapers didn't want to know!!!:( X( :eek:

The fact that so many banks have had such poor judgement when assessing the risks to which they have exposed their businesses and customers to has not helped.

It will take a lot to convince me that there were no warning signs a year or more ago within Woolworth's and MFI that problems were looming. Large businesses do not collapse in a couple of weeks. It is interesting that Theo Paphitis (of Dragon's Den) was interested in Woolworths' date=' but that no agreement could be found for his involvement. I do wonder what the losses under his proposed rescue plan would have been; surely they would have been much less than under the present total closure?

Pyro.[/quote']

Well correct me if i am wrong but didn't Kingfisher recently (2yr ish) sell off Woolworths from its portfolio??

due to ....... "poor performance"??? :( ;)

Only this past few weeks a friend of someone I know was trying to get some interest with our local "free" weekly paper..Celebrating a small local firm's 20th anniversary..

they now employ 15 people.. have a good order book & had some promotional pens balloons t-shirts etc.. made..

Newspapers didn't want to know!!!:( X( :eek:

Well correct me if i am wrong but didn't Kingfisher recently (2yr ish) sell off Woolworths from its portfolio??

due to ....... "poor performance"??? :( ;)
Not sure if it is the same thing but they 'demerged' from Kingfisher in 2001

They have been struggling with debt for years, as have a hell of a lot of other businesses!

Sorry (for the doom and gloom)but we have had a party for the last 10 years and now it is the morning after. I expect to see a lot of big companies and retailers go bust early next year. You aint seen nothing yet!!

Oh and whilst I agree that the media loves a bad news story, I don't think the blame for this can be laid at their door, if anything they are about 6 months behind the curve. I,ve been reading about this happening for over year now. Next year will not be pretty. Sorry again.

Not sure if it is the same thing but they 'demerged' from Kingfisher in 2001They have been struggling with debt for years, as have a hell of a lot of other businesses!
Was it that long? blimey time fly's!

Sorry (for the doom and gloom)but we have had a party for the last 10 years and now it is the morning after. I expect to see a lot of big companies and retailers go bust early next year. You aint seen nothing yet!!
agreed! ; )Applaud Smiley

Oh and whilst I agree that the media loves a bad news story' date=' [b']I don't think the blame for this can be laid at their door, if anything they are about 6 months behind the curve. I,ve been reading about this happening for over year now. Next year will not be pretty. Sorry again.
There has been a sad lack of common sense with the great British public thinking they can buy houses with 100+% mortgages

based on 5x+ two salaries (inc overtime & bonuses).. for MANY years now! :(

Don't think this directly relates to the media..

(But the media IMHO is rubbish at the moment, papers, radio & TV!!)

ye' ode' fashioned bank manager.. checking your "realistic" income -Vs- any applied for mortgage or loan has been sadly missing from many major financial transactions for many many years now!

There is "NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH" is still true! ;)