Door entry system fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyjs

Reaction score
Hi - new to the forum so apologies if not following the correct approach.

I had a physical fault on the video unit at my front gate and replaced the unit but somewhere in the process I seem to have disturbed some wires, or done something else that meant it didn't work. Looking for any ideas or suggestions?

I have taken the system apart and indoors out of the cold and even now can't get video to work. It is a  CCL-VC2-CK door entry intercom connected to a MT320C-CK colour monitor.

What I think should happen- which may be wrong - is that when the call button is pressed the V+ line activates and switches the camera on. But it doesn't! That line is staying at around 4.6v and not switching up enough to activate camera. If I put 12v straight into the camera, it powers up and I can see video but it stays on (LEDS remain lit even when monitor shuts down). 

Could something have "blown in the monitor" if the wires were mixed up during removal/refitting? 

Also - in the house there were two monitors and there seems to have been some jumpers put in to short some of the pins at the rear of the monitor because it was in a two monitor configuration - could that be the issue? Any idea what the configuration should be?

Once again apologies if not the right forum for this type of thing and I'd appreciate any ideas?

You imply that you know you mis-connected something.  If you reversed power to anything , or grounded a supply wire, then there is a good chance that could cause permanent damage. 

It's difficult to advise on diagnosis without seeing a schematic of the system.

I know it's too late now, but advice frequently appearing on this forum is "Take photographs before disconnecting anything".  

You could always speak to them direct and they will probably give you more details. Manufacture details and wiring advice. 

I think this is there online advice line.

Technical- [email protected] 

If I were you I'd get some cable and wire this thing up on the table and see what happens, I've worked on a fair few of these things and on the odd occasion I've had to ring tech support the conversation usually starts with, "have you got a multimeter?" followed by something like "have you got X volts between pins so and so? oh you havent well what have you got between pins so and so?" .

If you ring up and tell them the thing is in bits all over the kitchen table you are unlikely to get very far, they generally know what volts should be sitting on what pins and if it is or isn't that usually either tells them the problem, or tells them what to test next. it's a bit like ringing an electrician and asking why the lounge light isn't working and when he asks if the others are you reply I don't know, my electric meter has just run out of credit! it could be something as simple as a blown bulb or it could be a cable fault, without power we don't know.

If you haven't got a wiring diagram with you I suggest downloading one and wiring it up before you ring them.