Doorstep selling & cooling off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No difference for me

go to house.....discuss requirements.....go away....post quote.....wait for call

chase 7 days later....yes or no ?

cooling off period covered

;)

No difference for mego to house.....discuss requirements.....go away....post quote.....wait for call

chase 7 days later....yes or no ?

cooling off period covered

;)
I would concur with that Theory..

I read this document that is refers to a contract signed, while you are at the customers premises..

NOT a contract left with the customer to consider before any later agreements made.

I understood this previously only applied to cold-calling doorstep reps.

Whereas if they made and appointment the cooling off period wasn't covered..

(thats why you got a load of sales phone calls asking if you want a rep to pop round.. e.g. made appointment = cooling off void)

But now they have built it in so if appn't or cold call,

Still have cooling off IF you sign agreement whilst rep still hovering over you to pressure you to sign!

As with Theroy's example..

If you visit to suss out a jobs requirements..

Then leave and post a cost for the job latter..

The customer can decide to consider the figures / work to be done at their leisure..

Thus be sufficiently cooled off before they make contact to agree to have work done.

Personally.. I hate giving any cost there & then on the spot...

{too much chance of forgetting to add in the costs of that bit of 10mm T&E or SWA garden run:O:O:O}

prefer to cool off myself & suss the job costs out fully before giving any figures.. :) ;)

If your job is less than

I still don't get what we are meant to do with the 'emergency' call outs... sometimes not worth going back again.

I still don't get what we are meant to do with the 'emergency' call outs... sometimes not worth going back again.
Now that a ruddy good point!!!!! :eek: :O

I forgot about that one...

get the call..

do the fix..

agreed to cost...

get paid..

Customer cools off...

And thinks oops I didn't want that call-out after all!! :| :_|

surely there must be some sort of exemption for this type of event! :|

The doorstop selling regulations may not apply to sparks as there are exemptions allowed e.g. for `repair and maintenance`.

Strangely enough I favour the view that what we do IS repair and maintenance. ;)

Now that a ruddy good point!!!!! :eek: :OI forgot about that one...

get the call..

do the fix..

agreed to cost...

get paid..

Customer cools off...

And thinks oops I didn't want that call-out after all!! :| :_|

surely there must be some sort of exemption for this type of event! :|
if they change their mind ,,,

go back and put it as you found it !!!! and return the monies

then see what happens :^O

Don`t laugh TOO hard - in the current climate, that may well come to pass.

Mind you - about ten years back - we`d rewired an elderly couple`s house ( grant job!). The guy was an absolute nightmare ("it`s been fine for 20 years - just pretend it doesn`t exist!") - his "extension power" to shed; where he reared chicks (under an ancient & decrepit heater unit, which almost burnt the shed (& house) down!!)

Anyway, to get back on topic. We had a call on Dec 30th, that his heating wasn`t working. (He refused to let us touch his CH wiring, as it was existing, and working.).

We suggested plumber. He calls back, 9.00p.m. N.Y. eve, to say plumber says electrical, can I go out?

erm......no - I`m well issed by this point.

Our party finishes 6.30 ish. He`s on the `phone by 9.30, asking when I`m going there?

Soft sod as I am - I drive over to him about 2.00 p.m. He`s not there-gome dowen the club with his mates.

His wife`s there, though. I mfind problem (thermostat on wall, which he wouldn`t let us change!)

Put override (read LINK) across stat, and heating works. She says he`ll settle up with me, as she doesn`t have money. I say "okay, only