Double slot RCBO's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric1066

Reaction score
Hi,

Let me start with the following info:

1. I live in Cyprus which has 230v 50hz system.

2. Cyprus uses UK style everything. The regs may be slightly different here, but by and large they follow the UK. They use ring circuits for sockets, loops for lighting and they are going to change soon to metal cases for the units, just like in the UK. (Anecdotal examples)

I've just installed a small consumer unit in a shed. Main switch, 1x32a for a double socket and 1x6a for the lights. I asked for MCB's but was told to use RCBO's instead.

Ok.

Because of my curiosity, I went online to find out what RCBO's are, what's the difference etc... and EVERY video I watched had 1 slot RCBO's, with a neutral tail and a cream coloured 'functional' earth tail...

What I was sold was 2 slot RCBO's with L&N screws on top and L&N screws at the bottom and NO tails. Also a busbar that had 2 tracks. One for the Neutral and one for the Live. Ok, i figured it out, was pretty simple, installed and it all works...

There's no 'functional' earth tail though... i can't see where I would make an earth connection to these RCBO's... why do the UK RCBO's have this? Why don't these 2 slot ones have it? Is this less desireable?

Pics attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• Compress_20230602_062143_3211.jpg
    Compress_20230602_062143_3211.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Compress_20230602_062142_2344.jpg
    Compress_20230602_062142_2344.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Compress_20230602_062141_1462.jpg
    Compress_20230602_062141_1462.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
Not all RCBOs have a 'tail'. The earlier ones had earth leads, most now have neutral leads, but yours doesn't need a lead as it has direct connection to the neutral bus bar.

My complete house is covered by double pole RCBOs, my choice as I think it's a better installation. Others may have a different opinion, which is wrong😉😂
In my opinion DP RCBOs should have been mandated in the areas. In many ways UK leads the world in electrical installation, but some elements are lacking. DP RCBOs being one of them

What I was sold was 2 slot RCBO's with L&N screws on top and L&N screws at the bottom and NO tails. Also a busbar that had 2 tracks. One for the Neutral and one for the Live. Ok, i figured it out, was pretty simple, installed and it all works...
What you have been sold is a EU standard RCBO and not the antiquated RCBO's that UK wholesalers are still selling, yours should have the L&N in at the top also available staggered to use dual bus bars and feed out from below.

My complete house is covered by double pole RCBOs, my choice as I think it's a better installation. Others may have a different opinion, which is wrong😉😂
In my opinion DP RCBOs should have been mandated in the areas. In many ways UK leads the world in electrical installation, but some elements are lacking. DP RCBOs being one of them
Uk Electricians seem to be scared of increasing the size of the CU which is inevitable when using duel slot RCBO's eventually we may get to the EU standards which dictate CU positions within a domestic property and maximum amount of sockets on any one circuit, lots of other sensible rules as well, but all increase the rows and size of the CU.

Oh! Well my house here has THREE CU's, 2 on the ground floor and one upstairs... I thought this was mad, as in the UK, no house I ever had, had more than 1, even if it was massive.

So having three is a good thing?

IMO yes, when a circuit trips out its only the circuit that it controls, therefore easier to find a fault if one exists, if you have incandescent lights this can trip a MCB if the bulb blows so only the bulb needs replacing in most case's.

Oh! Well my house here has THREE CU's, 2 on the ground floor and one upstairs... I thought this was mad, as in the UK, no house I ever had, had more than 1, even if it was massive.

So having three is a good thing?
You don't see it these days, but I've encountered old houses with socket and lighting circuits per room. All radials of course.

You don't see it these days, but I've encountered old houses with socket and lighting circuits per room. All radials of course.
With regard to that... i always heard that the reason we have ring circuits is to save on copper.. I don't get it, unless I really dont understand radial circuits. My understanding is, from the breaker you run a line into the room connect a socket, continue to another socket and when you get to the last socket.. it ends there.

I've just put a CU into a shed, a 32A RCBO for the ring... of 2 double sockets. Surely a radial circuit is better and far less copper in that instance, but I just did what I know.

With regard to that... i always heard that the reason we have ring circuits is to save on copper.. I don't get it, unless I really dont understand radial circuits. My understanding is, from the breaker you run a line into the room connect a socket, continue to another socket and when you get to the last socket.. it ends there.

I've just put a CU into a shed, a 32A RCBO for the ring... of 2 double sockets. Surely a radial circuit is better and far less copper in that instance, but I just did what I know.
It was ages ago when copper shot up in price. So much so they even started using aluminium cables. I don't run rings these days unless I really need the higher ampage it offers. As for your shed, I would have used 20A and radial cct, it's not compulsory to fit sockets to a ring.

I will see your 18 way board and raise you my 52 😜

DSC02263.jpeg

Last edited:
Regarding DP RCBOs, all mine are single slot so the same size as an MCb. Fair enough, I do have an 18way board though
As far as I understand these things a single module RCBO with fly lead is not really a dual pole, the neutral is dragged along with the live when it trips as it does not have the solenoid connected to it, happy to be put right.

I don't like the fly lead single modules and use dual pole dual module RCBO's in preference, no common neutral bar, far easier to test and no spurious trips from cross connections.

Just a quick question, as I've got all you guys attention 😁

Just going through some of the stuff I jave here and noticed something, if you can shed some light on it for me.

I have 2 dp rcbo's by 2 different manufacturers. One has the neutral to the right screw, the other has the neutral on the left screw... pic attached. This means i couldn't use a dual busbar if I want all of these connected next to eachother due to space limitation in the case, OR is it not a problem wiring these things either way around and the N stamp is merely a suggestion?

I know I can simply turn it upside down, and make the connection that way, but my OCD won't let me.

Attachments

• Compress_20230603_120310_0351.jpg
    Compress_20230603_120310_0351.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • Compress_20230603_120308_8999.jpg
    Compress_20230603_120308_8999.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Compress_20230603_120309_9784.jpg
    Compress_20230603_120309_9784.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0