double standards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
been on a job fitting a kitchen, had to move a couple of sockets and add a spur for some pelmet lights.the home owner had his "mate" put him a new 17th board in for him with no cert no testin no nothing,i move 2 sockets, add a spur and hes all over me for a cert!!!i got the feelin he was expecting my cert to cover his whole house. unlucky

To install a CU, without testing, let alone the issue of a certificate, is criminal.

The Godfather

i know.they didnt seem bothered as it works fine at the mo!

:eek: Unbelievable - init?!
not really.

recently Ive been getting stuff like this all the time.

PIRs seem to be coming at me left right and centre, and all with 'new' boards fitted,

'oh, we got that done a few months ago, but our cert only ran out last week, can you give us one for the next 10years please'

NO, sorry, I'll give you one for the next 2years, BUT you gotta get all the faults on page 2 sorted out ASAP.

]:) :^O ] :) :^O ] :)

did some downlighters in a 5k bathroom this week,

customer said all he had to was the decorating in the hallway......house done

and a rewire i told him !!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O

gasman says NOT SAFE and they say HOW MUCH TO FIX IT THEN?

we say its not safe and all you get is

WELL THE LIGHTS ARE WORKING FINE, WHAT COULD BE WRONG, YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, MY NEPHEWS FRIEND PUT THOSE LIGHTS UP LAST MONTH AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE THEN SO YOU MUSTA BROKE IT.

Im starting to get really p1ssed off with the whole thing here in England and am looking at doing something different, if I can afford to,

tho the way this is going just now its not looking too hot either. :(

"do you want it safely working or just working"

if you want it done working then..........

go to wickes and follow their help sheets !!!!!

been on a job fitting a kitchen, had to move a couple of sockets and add a spur for some pelmet lights.the home owner had his "mate" put him a new 17th board in for him with no cert no testin no nothing,i move 2 sockets, add a spur and hes all over me for a cert!!!i got the feelin he was expecting my cert to cover his whole house. unlucky
I'm doing a 2nd fix (rewire) at the moment...

There a few circuits, but to test 2 rings, Cooker, boiler and radial socket (not done lights yet.. :_| ).....

Less than 30 mins for the non live tests, so far (and they all passed)..

The implications of (any faults) not testing, even just basic , can be very dangerous if faulty equipment is connected (Class 1).

I suspect where CU changes are implemented without test/certs, the so called sparkys have no idea.

:eek:

I'm doing a 2nd fix (rewire) at the moment...There a few circuits, but to test 2 rings, Cooker, boiler and radial socket (not done lights yet.. :_| ).....

Less than 30 mins for the non live tests, so far (and they all passed)..

The implications of (any faults) not testing, even just basic , can be very dangerous if faulty equipment is connected (Class 1).

I suspect where CU changes are implemented without test/certs, the so called sparkys have no idea.

:eek:
Diyers

really common as the mo, lost count of the jobs i've been to which has had cu changed by 'mate' with no certs, i always make it clear on my, usually, minor work cert exactly what work has been done and that the cu was changed prior to my work without a cert

best was one that had 5/5 split load cu installed back to front with the upstairs light/downstairs lights/c heating and smoke alarm circuit on the rcd side and the up/down sockets cooker shower garage and outdoor socket on non rcd side i suspect because the cables wouldnt stretch the other way round!!!! madness.....customers response 'does that matter? you said it needed an rcd and it has one' Applaud Smiley