down lighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougal

Reaction score
i have been asked to install 6 50w down lighters

they are mains operated giving 1.31A load

I have some .75mm flex to wire up the downlighers

from the wiring that is already there (1.5mm)

I know that the flex is rated at 6A and the mcb is 6A

to me this sounds OK but what is your opinion?

i have been asked to install 6 50w down lightersthey are mains operated giving 1.31A load

I have some .75mm flex to wire up the downlighers

from the wiring that is already there (1.5mm)

I know that the flex is rated at 6A and the mcb is 6A

to me this sounds OK but what is your opinion?
As downlighters a 'fixed' thing shouldn't we use cable rather than flex?

termination piont is small and as far as I am aware the regs allow you to use flex in fixed wiring ( I have the flex going spare)

I complys with regs but only just as the flex is of equal rating to the mcb

If only one length of flex per light...

will be no different electrical loading wise than a ceiling rose & pendant..

with a bit of flex between them..

i.e. one length of flex only taking 1 x 50w bulb!

connected back to a 1.0mm or 1.5mm T&E!

I would just be careful that the routing of the flex doesn't leave it susceptible to heat damage from any other lights;)

I use small junction box at each downlight run cable into box then small length of flex into downlight looks ok and easy to terminate;)

I have nowdone the job now thank you for the advice

I used 1.5 t&e through out

Termination was tight but is ok

For future reference:

If you are wiring low voltage downlights..............

Be aware that the wiring from secondary of transx to lamp is ACTUALLY drawing 50/12 = 4.1A!! If you use 1 150W tranny for 3 lamps, and daisy-chained (not recommended), you`d have almost 13A on the first section of cable.

This in turns affects volt drop, more than you`d normally think.

esp. bearing in mind that 12V lamps don`t like having their voltage messed with unduly.

I`ve seen a lot of people use 1.5mm from JB / rose to the tranny. then thin .75 flex to the lamps. When you tell them they`d be better off the other way round, they look at you like you`re an idiot! "It`s only 12 volts" is the usual comment.

For future reference:If you are wiring low voltage downlights..............

Be aware that the wiring from secondary of transx to lamp is ACTUALLY drawing 50/12 = 4.1A!! If you use 1 150W tranny for 3 lamps, and daisy-chained (not recommended), you`d have almost 13A on the first section of cable.

This in turns affects volt drop, more than you`d normally think.

esp. bearing in mind that 12V lamps don`t like having their voltage messed with unduly.

I`ve seen a lot of people use 1.5mm from JB / rose to the tranny. then thin .75 flex to the lamps. When you tell them they`d be better off the other way round, they look at you like you`re an idiot! "It`s only 12 volts" is the usual comment.
the lamp are on 230v mains and dont have a tranny

thanks

KME

totally agree with your post. I always wire one light to each transformer, You certainly get less call backs on jobs.

Batty