Downlighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
50 downlighters

across kitchen,dining area,landing, galleyway and 2 en- suites bathrooms

removing some,,replacing some and moving some

i did not expect to faff around for best part of 1.5 days measuring,re-measuring,avoiding beams, removing chipboard etc etc

working around the decorators

how i hate downlighters :_| :_| :_|

They have there place but I agree they are a pain in the ****. Most of them are cheap rubbish, they are a fire hazard when installed incorrectly and punters replace the lights with cheapo versions and wonder why the lamps fail so quickly!

Give it another 10 years and you'll be ripping them out again to replace with what ever the next fad is! :^O

Personally I like the new fluorescent fixtures that are now coming out. They look very nice and are super slim due to the new tri-phosphor tubes and high frequency ballasts.

They have there place but I agree they are a pain in the ****. Most of them are cheap rubbish, they are a fire hazard when installed incorrectly and punters replace the lights with cheapo versions and wonder why the lamps fail so quickly!Give it another 10 years and you'll be ripping them out again to replace with what ever the next fad is! :^O

Personally I like the new fluorescent fixtures that are now coming out. They look very nice and are super slim due to the new tri-phosphor tubes and high frequency ballasts.
You should see the burn marks where they were too close to the joists :(

i also had trouble finding them under all the insulation !!!!

I had look at job at weekend 15 lv downlights in kitchen dining area. Customer wanted them putting on dimmer for when they have guest. Lights were fitted 3 to 4 years ago. Took one fitting down, it was right next to joist which was seriously scorched. Fittings were not fire rated and did not have fire hoods either. I told them the fittings ideally need replacing and at least they would have to use alutech bulbs to reduce fire risk. To put them on a dimmer they would have to reduce bulb size to 35 watts and pointed out that they could have a problem with transformers humming or dimmer switch doing the same. They have these crap fittings through out the house. Its going to cost a fortune to put this right if they move.

batty

I have used jcc fireguard on quite a few jobs. They give a nice white light and are energy efficient. You get the odd faulty bulb but my supplier replaces them foc. If you shop around you should be able to get them for under

I have used jcc fireguard on quite a few jobs. They give a nice white light and are energy efficient. You get the odd faulty bulb but my supplier replaces them foc. If you shop around you should be able to get them for under

sirsparkabit

TLC have them listed. I see they do the dimmable ones they are more expensive maybe that is what you are buying.

batty

To put them on a dimmer they would have to reduce bulb size to 35 watts and pointed out that they could have a problem with transformers humming or dimmer switch doing the same. batty
In with both feet again; why do they need to reduce the bulbs to 35 watt for dimmers?

Also, talking of heat scorching, insulation covering etc. what is the position with fire covers (bungalow with accessible loft for the most part).

If a building with rooms above I can see the building regs require covers to protect the floor above etc. I have heard of people using china flower pots as heat guards, what the position here, seems like they would work, ...

but why are the proprietry heat covers so expensive, is it because you have to have them, dont believe the material is that expensive, just fire blanket material sewn into hats. Maybe a new business opportunity, to undercut the current suppliers.

B

but why are the proprietry heat covers so expensive, is it because you have to have them, dont believe the material is that expensive, just fire blanket material sewn into hats. Maybe a new business opportunity, to undercut the current suppliers.B
They are made of intumescent material which, in the event of a fire, expands to block the holes in the ceiling. Thus preventing, or at least delaying, the passage of fire and smoke.

They aren't really the matting you chuck over your chip pan fire. :D

They are made of intumescent material which, in the event of a fire, expands to block the holes in the ceiling. Thus preventing, or at least delaying, the passage of fire and smoke.They aren't really the matting you chuck over your chip pan fire. :D
Thank you, yes, I went and had a good look at a fire blanket and now understand the difference.

B

Still hate them :( put me foot thru the ceiling yesterday :_| :_| :_|
:^O well that was clever wasnt it!! :^O

if this weeks anything to go by it shud be getting better but it aint. i only went to move the cctv equipment in a resturant form a cupboard to the new office room and cut the sound system cables as welll as the cctv camera cables.

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| caused mer another hours on top to repair them :_| :_| :_| not chargable to the customer of course as it was my fault. :_| :_|

glad im not the only one this week :^O :^O

The ceiling i went thru in this 5 bed stone mansion had a special type of artex design :_|

but lucky for me the decorator working there sent us off to get some plaster board ,,,filled the hole artexed it ,,all sorted by lunch time

cost me