Downlights & flippin builders

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Just love days like this. X(

Gets a call from a customer who is having a loft conversion, I've completed the 1st fix.

All lighting will be cfl Fire rated dimmable down lights + some LED's, so as normal I ran all cabling expecting builder to pull tails through the plasterboard as another builder I do work for does prior to plastering (I did tell both builder & customer to do this)

So gets the call today from customer

"we've argued till blue in the face with builder, he hasnt dropped cables through plasterboard, & said you will find them with a bit of test kit"

Gets there not only are the cables behind the palster board but they are above the 100mm of insulation & 50mm of celotex.

Argued with the builder as to who's problem it is (he lost & is having to find cables)

He said all other electricians hes worked with just mark the plasterboard as to where the cables are....."Ok so then the plasterer covers the marks...what then" was my reply....he got all huffy & stomped off.

He was lucky I'd measured the locations & kept a note of them, not that it'll help much, as they've had to move some stud walls.

The other method I use is to drop a plumb line from the desired location where light is expected to go when ceiling is boarded & mark the floor as a refrence point (couldnt do that here as no flooring was down at first fix stage)

Customer has complained nonstop about the builder he's now 5 weeks over schedule.

So it got me wondering as to what methods others use for marking /remembering where the cables are left for DL's at first fix stage.

spray paint an X the floor unger the D/L positions if possible, it aint 100% accurate, but it gives u an idea were the positions are. Or just knock f!*k out of the ceiling ha ha ha i have done that before

personally I like the builder to leave the cables above the ceiling and I mark up the drawing where the lights are. then I go around with my battery drill and hole saw. also if I know insulation is going above I fit light boxes first, My wholesalers sell metal ones at

Surely with free easy to use programs like Google sketchup you could draw a diagram and include all dimensions

I normally draw a plan of were the lights are but if builder has left wires above insulation and celotex you have no chance. Its in his court good luck.

batty

You could always take him to countycourt for messing you around :|

I usually draw a map for downlights but if the studs have moved then that aint much use to you.

Tell the customer to sort it with the builder.

He sounds like a numpty to me.

Well I'm on holiday as of now so it was a big fucum to builder bob & the customer is on my side....aint life grand.

Beer on & see you all in a weeks time after tonight (cant be any longer too much on).