Downlights installed in metal studs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
I live in a new build, only a few months old... I've added a few downlights to the bedroom and wanted to see the standard of installation for the ones preinstalled in the living space.
I noticed instantly that the "electrician" had installed them directly in the middle of the metal studs supporting the ceiling plasterboard with only a couple of mm either side.
I'm looking to write a formal complaint to the developer but want to know if there are any regs to back me up or is it just bad practice?

attached a few pics for your interest

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 22
I would have thought that that would comprise the fitting instructions /integrity for an ML ceiling.
Electrical wise it comes order DOG RUFF
I don't know about any regs but can see how this would commonly happen as I doubt there is much coordination between the builders fixing the ceiling and the sparkys who need to line up the lights so they look right.

I have friend who once 'snagged' for a large housebuilder and he's told me some horrendous tales of new build house quality. Good luck with your complaint!

Sadly you are correct KA, there seems to be no coordination between design and build on new properties.
But design and build is not the name of the game, profits and margins is what it’s all about.

Lets say there was just one pendant light in the middle of the room.
Now you ask for downlights.
Ok, how do you think a sparky is going to run the cables thru the steel studwork?

Lets say there was just one pendant light in the middle of the room.
Now you ask for downlights.
Ok, how do you think a sparky is going to run the cables thru the steel studwork?
Easy, I've done this in one of the bedrooms. Studbuddy and a laser...

I guess you are right in terms of coordination between the builders and sparks - I've never worked on new build sites so I don't know what it's like but I would've thought they may have found the stud before putting a 60mm through one.

My only concern is the safety aspect... the studs are positioned where they are to hold the plasterboard, if there are multiple holes in said metal stud, surely the security is reduced and has some effect on the designers original specifications?