EAL Domestic Installer Scheme

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would building control want to know? If anyone phoned me claiming to be from LABC asking for job information, they would be told job will be self certified and thats all the info they will get. If he wants to know more he can come to site with ID and a good reason for wanting to know more

Building control officer would contact person over seeing job not you. I have never been contacted by building control when doing extensions.

Batty

thats just one of the silly questions that i have to answer to pass the course, thats why im desperate to find any books or other resources to help me, the electrical questions im fine with but with these kinds of questions im stuck :(

Because you're not yet registered or qualified, I would answer the phone and pretend to be the plumber!

Are wannabe DI's allowed on site all on their own?

you will find out when you finished the course the EAL is just the first of many tests to be an electrician, there is virtually no way on this earth you can walk out after 4 days and work to a satisfactory standard.

these courses were designed for people in the trade to get the part p and bring them up to speed assuming they are already experienced in the field.

course providers push people through for the money and dont care if you understand or not.

an example of this is the question you have been given ? the whole reason you are doing the course is so you can self certify your work so as above they would never call you on site.

the only reason they could call you is if you did not enrol on a scheme and you had notified them of the intent to start the project and they were to sign it off and notify it.

to succeed in the business use the course as a taster and get some experience before going alone,

dont believe the hype the country is not short of electricians :) only good 1`s . :)

I remember that question in one of my final assessments! I put that they need to speak to main contractor who is unavailable at the moment! Many of the questions require common sense answers - they know you're technical knowledge is ok - just trying to find out what you'd be like in situations which are non-technical. There are definitely no books which can help you with those sort of questions.

HTH

What a stupid question !!! (Not yours Brightspark) And what is EAL ? And how did Building Control get your moby no. ??? And why are you working on a site on your own ?? H&S Act 1971

What a stupid question !!! (Not yours Brightspark) And what is EAL ? And how did Building Control get your moby no. ??? And why are you working on a site on your own ?? H&S Act 1971
he isnt... yet

the question is more 'when your qualified working on your own what do you do'

Or at least thats how i read it

see here for eal qualification.

course comprises of

Course Content

* Related Building Regulations.

* Electrical Legislation and Regulations.

* Pre work electrical inspections.

* Safe electrical isolation.

* Recognising electrical danger.

* Earthing and Bonding requirements.

* Electrical Testing & Certification.

* Installation practices.

* Conventional Circuit Arrangements.

* Maintaining electrical installations.

a 4 day course. :) 5th day is for exam.

Although no prior electrical qualification is required for this course, learners should have basic literacy skills and be aware of normal electrical safety responsibilities.

If I had known in 1976 that eventually in the future you could become an electrician in a week I would have told my instructors to f off and enjoy being a student.

All that mumbo jumbo calcs, all that pratical field trips to cut a high voltage cable with that explosive spike. all those visits to the 400mm busbar installations just seems like a waste of time now.

normal electrical safety responsibilities.
you mean providing they know 'dont touch the live part or your dead', then thats all the previous experience they need?!

im starting to think im too qualified for the job.

Tell me JL - is there any 5 day courses to make me a qualified gas engineer?

i think i already know enough - gas goes bang if there is a leak, and how to do a drop test (not what the readings mean though!). going by how easy it is to be a spark, im guessing thats all i need to be a gas engineer?

I think we have had a go at this before . I think I likened it to a well known thing from the sixties, Bert Weedon's " Play in a Day " guitar tuition book. I'm still on 6 chords !! I think that soon there will be a " Become an Electrician and Gas installer in A Day " course !! As long as you pay up we'll certify you for anything.

I think we have had a go at this before . I think I likened it to a well known thing from the sixties, Bert Weedon's " Play in a Day " guitar tuition book. I'm still on 6 chords !! I think that soon there will be a " Become an Electrician and Gas installer in A Day " course !! As long as you pay up we'll certify you for anything.
i think after the end of the day id still be asking 'whats a chord'

and i dont think anyone would want to be anywhere within hearing distance of me playing a guitar, never mind paying to see me play! you either have it or you dont. 5 day wonders dont.

hi guys thanks for the all the advice.

just to clarify a few things. the course is at a local college, been doing it for 3 years now so its not one of those 4 day courses that teach you to wire a plug and then tell you that you are a qualified spark, lol.

ive passed my 17th edition, also done my PAT testing, also done the online building regs exam to do with becoming part p, and now i need to complete my coursework/modules to become part p.

the college has done things a bit different, instead of doing the coursework first and then the exam, we have done the exam first and now need to do the coursework, and the above question is an actual question from the coursework that we have to complete.

as i go through my modules and if i find any more stupid questions that you have to answer to pass i will post them on here. thanks again for the help