Earth bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon Q

Reaction score
I have read some forums about the need verses requirements for bonding relating to water, gas pipes, boilers etc.

Whatever the requirements, my understanding is that it is a good idea to connect up all the metal pipes to make sure they are at an equal potential, which should be 0 volts. Most diagrams show these connected to the main earthing terminal near or at the meter or consumer unit.

I have a kitchen where a new boiler has been fitted. The plumber advised me that he could see 'no visible bonding points' on the pipes anywhere and advised me to get ones fitted. I am happy to do this but the boiler and sink are a long distance from the consumer unit so although I can easily connect them to each other I have no way of running an earth wire to the consumer unit or the gas meter. 

Would it work just as well to run the earth to a nearby ring main socket and connect to the earth there? Presumably it would be at the ' 0 volts' of the electrical   supply.

Please do not buy this book. I don't know anything about the author but the information is wrong in just about every way.

Back to the OP. No, any bonding  can not go to a local circuit. It has to go to a main earthing  terminal, however it may not be needed, most plumbers are wrong. The gas supply  does need bonding either at the meter  if internal or at the point of  entry of the pipe to the property if external. Any metal work only needs bonding if it is bringing in a earth potential, ie is connected to the  ground. A boiler with pipework all above ground, wooden floors etc generally does not need bonding other than the gas (and water if it is a metalic supply).  This is a short version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read some forums about the need verses requirements for bonding relating to water, gas pipes, boilers etc.

Whatever the requirements, my understanding is that it is a good idea to connect up all the metal pipes to make sure they are at an equal potential, which should be 0 volts. Most diagrams show these connected to the main earthing terminal near or at the meter or consumer unit.

I have a kitchen where a new boiler has been fitted. The plumber advised me that he could see 'no visible bonding points' on the pipes anywhere and advised me to get ones fitted. I am happy to do this but the boiler and sink are a long distance from the consumer unit so although I can easily connect them to each other I have no way of running an earth wire to the consumer unit or the gas meter. 

Would it work just as well to run the earth to a nearby ring main socket and connect to the earth there? Presumably it would be at the ' 0 volts' of the electrical   supply.
It sounds like you have no main bonding to the gas and water, was an electrician involved in installing the boiler? Or did the plumber do the electrics?

I own the Cockburn book. I ordered it when drunk for a laugh. Have not been drunk enough to actually read it however n

This is typical

"Although a mere 13 pages, the author has managed to cram in more spelling, grammar and technical errors than I ever thought was possible."

There’s are some still available £10-99 (free postage)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had better proof read my book over and over if this is the critique I would expect. :facepalm: :slap

I will have a search through my old laptop I may still have a download of it somewhere................