Earth size required

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotVerySlimJim

Reaction score
Hi, at the moment I am playing gopher as the electrics are being sorted in one of our shed I was asked to get some earth cable along with some 25mm² tails as the existing ones between the breaker and an isolator are too short to go around the new Consumer Unit but I wasn't told what size earth he needed he just told me that the existing one to the earth rod looked half the size it should be as well as the ones between the breaker, the two isolators that run to two other sheds and the consumer unit. The supply is 60/80A and the breaker is a Chilton 60A one any help would be much appreciated as I would like to have everything here before he next comes as he is doing it in his free time and don't want to pester him as he is basically doing this as a favour.

Kind regards

NVSJ

its all in the tables in the earthing section. no where near enough details to tell you from here. the only person who can really answer is your electrician, although if he says 'existing one to the earth rod looked half the size it should be', then he doesnt sound like he knows much about earthing as it can be a very small size compared to other earthing types...

as above,

there is nowhere near enough info to even start calculating what size earth you need for a TT

also, as @NozSpark points out, TT earthing can be surprising small compared to other earthing types,,,,

Certainly sounds like the old Chiltern  ELCB  , mostly voltage operated . 

But he says the guy is putting in a 60A supply , so a 16mm earth , but we are only guessing with little information really.

Are Chilton Breakers not the old style FELV  (or whatever they were called) voltage operated ones?

just enquiring

...were they not Chiltern
Ottermill Chilton Limited Hungerford Berkshire, voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker. 

Thanks for the replies but doesn't matter much as he is just off skiing, really starting to think my dad should have either gone with our neighbours sparky though he was put off by the warning he spends most of the time chatting or my friend from way back though he has commented that other sparkys reguard him as the spawn of satan as he qualified as both a sparky and plaster when instead of going the route of a recommendation of a relative who is a new build developer, but as I don't hold the cheque book I am told I can decide when I do ah the joys of being a farmers son

farmer... well im guessing the installation is on a farm, so certain other regulations may apply to the wiring...  this is why you cant always get reliable advice by asking a vague question over the internet

and for the voltae breaker, the 60a is simply the current it can handle, it will not trip on overload. and itll probably not trip on voltage as its supposed to either, although they are not used any more and it should be replaced

farmer... well im guessing the installation is on a farm, so certain other regulations may apply to the wiring...  this is why you cant always get reliable advice by asking a vague question over the internet

and for the voltae breaker, the 60a is simply the current it can handle, it will not trip on overload. and itll probably not trip on voltage as its supposed to either, although they are not used any more and it should be replaced

To be fair this has been more informative than most meeting we have been to that have involved Defra especially at the old ELS scheme one in which the whole A of the Q&A session was read the manual even though on the first page it stated if after reading it you had any questions go to one of the meetings and ask in the end they basically admitted they hadn't got a clue as they basically read a crib sheet.

It is also interesting reading some of the other posts especially when two interpret the regs in different ways. 

Ahh well back to the working out of how much nitrogen the sheep contributed to in the fields for the NVZ forms.

Canoeboy said:
Is there a formula ? We have a lot of hot air on these forums so if there is hot air formula for a lot of sheep (a lot of members are welsh  :C ) we may be able to use it :slap
I think the nitrogen  referred to here is in the form of Urea. So the formula might be useful to see how much p*ss taking occurs on the site :D

I think the nitrogen  referred to here is in the form of Urea. So the formula might be useful to see how much p*ss taking occurs on the site :D
Sorry have been meaning to reply and say thank you for the advice, so thank you.

Actually the government are more concerned about what comes out the other end though it was amusing to watch how quick they moved when testing the stream when a was of toilet roll floated down as a near by house didn't like having their cesspool emptied every month as they were allowed to put only a little one in, I couldn't help point out the sheep don't know how to use toilet roll as they were concerned about 'organic material' in the watershed

Latest posts