Earth wiring doubt replacing classic British Fused Spur with Timeguard Wi-Fi Fused Spur

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezilo

Reaction score
My old Fused Spur Wall Switch has two Earth terminal while the new one has just one "Loop terminal for earth continuity". How should I proceed?

This is how the old switch was wired:

USPiQDHm_o.jpg.6caed91335576758fb7dba14d6ef0833.jpg

For now this how I am wiring the new Timeguard Wi-Fi Fused Spur:
UDh0LaJL_o.jpg.0c6fec5f933c65ac0a43da5d7cf896f9.jpg

How should I connect those earth wires to Timeguard Wi-Fi Fused Spur which has only one terminal?

Wow ... what size cables are those?

Its a good idea not to have bare copper exposed and yes the terminal sizes on those units are a bit on the small side.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can not barely connect two wires into the tiny loop terminal so I am afraid that the three wires is impossible to fit them into it. Since the loop terminal does not seem to be connected to anything, could I maybe use some other bigger loop terminal? Otherwise, do you have any suggestion?

For now I have reinstalled Fused Spur Wall Switch.

alcuHgew_o.jpg.5258346fd19b0664463ddafee9e592d6.jpg

Mate, having checked the timeguard information, those terminals should be able to accept 2 * 2.5mm cables and yours look like 4mm cables

do you what the actual size of the cable is that you are connecting

FWIW I like the unit you are trying to install, but Timeguard need to review and increase the size of the cables it will accept

It looks to me that on this photo it says 2,5 on the bottom left corner:
9hAWn7l1_o.jpg.199b45ab742f128f3d8baab4e5553a3f.jpg

If it were me, I'd do similar with the lives and neutrals and have pig tails running off to the accesory, rather than trying to jam the conductors poorly into the terminals on it.

Looks like tri-rated to me, but why and how in a domestic?

Part of your issue seems to be you are using flex, and have twisted the cores together with way too much twisting which increases the bulk and leads to the strands poking out issue.

Cut each cable back, strip a fresh bit and carefuly try and insert each pair of cables with minimal twisting taking care not to let any strands escape. and don't strip too far, I don't think those terminals are very deep.

Why is it all wired in flex? Is this in a caravan?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you just put them into a  30A  connector ?         Wagos don't like flexibles .  

Yes they do...

If you use the lever ones..

especially the slimmer levers..

"As per my earlier link..."

https://www.toolstation.com/wago-221-3-way-compact-lever-connectors/p83292

Rated up to 32A...

and will take up to 4.0mm solid or flex..

They come as 2, 3 or 5 way..  

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=wago

(a 30A connector is far more faff that the 32A rated level wago)

Always keep some in stock, as IMHO they are the dogs-doo-dahs for preventing the sort of problems the OP has posted about.

AND..

the miniature push-fits are the best solution for looping lighting cables in the back of switch boxes as well..

Some of the earlier design lever & push Wago's  were a bit bulky at times to fit comfortably into back-boxes, depending upon how many cables were in there.

:coffee

For those who maybe haven't used / seen the slimmer lever & mini push fit wago's...

the width of the 2,3 & 5 levers are not much difference...

IMG_1487.JPG

But the side profile is just over half the depth of the old ones..

So they do fit much easier in the back of a socket box..

IMG_1488.JPG

And the push-fits are much better for tucking in the back of light switches..

( just shown the 2 & 4way..   but proportions are similar up to the 8way connector ) 

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

As far as I know this installation is the one that came with the apartment. If I am not wrong the Fused Spur Switch is only for the dishwasher.

I managed to get one Wago 221 and I tried once again.

I inspected the wires and as you can see in this photo it says "4 mm2":
ICnLskvQ_o.jpg.028ee58be32614c012543d8b71a80a0f.jpg

I cut the striped wires and striped again the wires around 11mm (I read that 11mm is what Wago 221 needs). This is how it looks now:
zRQIos0n_o.jpg.110289f29ef2b0a0e84afc5b2ddc564f.jpg

Is this what @SPECIAL LOCATION suggested, right?

I have switched on everything except the appliance and the Switch had some light indicators blinking. I managed to connect it to the WiFi and kind of control it with the app. As I said, I have not yet tried to turn on the Dishwasher since I am not sure if what you see in the photo is safe enough like that.

I agree with @ProDave with regards to how they are twisted they are much wider than it should, this was very noticeable when I separated the two earth wires because even separated they were very wide and could not fit the Wago 221. The Wago 221 I have used is for up to 4mm2 but it was not difficult to fit the wires into it after cutting and stripping them. But since the cable in the picture says 4 mm2 and the Timeguard manual says that the terminals are to be used with up to 2x2,5mm, should I look into doing pig tail with the twisted wires with two Wago 221? If so, do I need the wires that will connect each Wago 221 with the Load In and Neutral In to be similar copper wires of 4mm2?

I am also hearing some noise such as coil whine on some computers, some noise on USB chargers, etc. I can easily hear it from 50-60 cm or so and I can still hear it very softly from almost 2 meters far. Do you think it has something to do with the wiring or is it more likely a problem of the Timeguard switch?  If it is a problem of the Timeguard Switch, I will return it.

Last edited by a moderator: