Earth wiring doubt replacing classic British Fused Spur with Timeguard Wi-Fi Fused Spur

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would really work on tidying up those L and N wires, wrapped wires like that exposed are not up to standard.  Do as you did with the earths, cut the mangled ends off, strip a fresh bit nice and straight and see if you can get them fully into the terminals with minimal twisting. But you might find the terminals are not large enough.

FWIW I don’t think that turning on the socket will start the dishwasher...
It does turn on. I have the dishwasher running right now and the app is working well BTW. The problem with this Timeguard unit is the electrical noise I can hear.

I would really work on tidying up those L and N wires, wrapped wires like that exposed are not up to standard.  Do as you did with the earths, cut the mangled ends off, strip a fresh bit nice and straight and see if you can get them fully into the terminals with minimal twisting. But you might find the terminals are not large enough.
I will very likely try to do what you say in a few days/weeks once I change the unit for one that does not make that electrical noise. I will try to find out if I have been unlucky with the unit or all of them has this problem. In the later case I will maybe reinstall the old switch and use a FIBARO Relay Switch (or similar) behind the socket or maybe I will just put a Switchbot over the old switch.

Have you tried loosening the fixing screws, it may be that the size of cables behind it are pushing on the back plate causing a vibration or worse? 
In order to check if that was the problem and just for this test, I unscrewed it and moved it out of the back-box placing it in a way that shouldn't vibrate. I switched on everything again and the noise was the same. I suppose it is a problem of the Timeguard fused spur switch. I will phone Timeguard's technical support as @Murdoch suggested.

Latest posts