Earthing A Server Rack

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_2013

Reaction score
Hello im new to this forum but what it is im going to be installing a computer server rack at HOME and would like to know if for one does it need to be earthed and if so how do i go about doing it also there is a PDU that has a earth lug on the back of it and says its high  leakage can any one help ? 

There's a reg that states that when the natural earth leakage exceeds a certain amount (can't remember this value off hand and my regs book is in the van) that extra precautions need to be taken with the earth wire within the circuit..

Basically if the circuit is a ring then the earth wires need to be terminate under different terminals, if its a radial circuit then a secondary earth wire needs to be taken back to the consumer unit and all earth terminations need to be under different terminals.

Now most computer equipment leaks power to earth,, old stuff is worse, and if you have enough then the cumulative leakage could easily take it over the required value

The pdu says it must be earthed could i earth it to a radiator pipe? or my friend said  to put a earth wire on and then put it in a earth pin on a plug and plug into a plug socket on the same ring as the servers and so on is this ok to do or is my way better ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
if it really needs earthed, then it will need wired back to the main earth terminal. the cable would also need to be a specific size

connecting to radiator or earth pin of a plug are not acceptable methods

ok could i run a earth to a earth rod? as the server rack going near out side wall so wouldn't be a problem drilling a hole ?

ok what size earthing cable should i use? and will it be ok to run out side as that is the simplest way to get back to the meter as i don't want to be pulling up floor boreds

do NOT install a rod. mixing earthing types is not a good idea, and it will cause problems. all earthing needs to go back to the MET
ok what size earthing cable should i use? and will it be ok to run out side as that is the simplest way to get back to the meter as i don't want to be pulling up floor boreds

Running externally is ok if its protected. It must be earthed to the same source as the existing equipment .The cable size depends on many factors such as the distance and the equipment
existing equipment?  and its going to be housing servers and network switches and a pdu and it will be about 60-100 feet away 

my boiler is in the same room as the rack is going to be and i no the gas pipes are boned could i just boned to that or is that a no no ?

David_2013,

It seems you are miximg up earthing and bonding.

This is common among lay people.

The supply to the server rack must be "earthed", to the same "location" from which the supply is derived.

You cannot derive a circuit earth from anywhere other than from where the circuit supply originates, for it to be compliant, and more importantly, safe.

Also, if, your server rack when in use has earth leakage >10mA, then there will be an enhanced requirement for the circuit cpc's.

This is not quite as straight forward as it may first seem, not only for it to be safe, but also for it to be reliable.

If, your "earths" are not "suitable" then this can have a functional and reliability issue on your server rack, that could, result in premature failure and data loss.

You should also consider surge protection, as required by BS7671, and, I suspect the equipment manufacturers, which, I also suspect will have certain earthing, and, possibly bonding requirements,

David_2013,

It seems you are miximg up earthing and bonding.

This is common among lay people.

The supply to the server rack must be "earthed", to the same "location" from which the supply is derived.

You cannot derive a circuit earth from anywhere other than from where the circuit supply originates, for it to be compliant, and more importantly, safe.

Also, if, your server rack when in use has earth leakage >10mA, then there will be an enhanced requirement for the circuit cpc's.

This is not quite as straight forward as it may first seem, not only for it to be safe, but also for it to be reliable.

If, your "earths" are not "suitable" then this can have a functional and reliability issue on your server rack, that could, result in premature failure and data loss.

You should also consider surge protection, as required by BS7671, and, I suspect the equipment manufacturers, which, I also suspect will have certain earthing, and, possibly bonding requirements,
its going to be a small setup 4-6 servers and 24 port switch and a patch panel im being told by some people to earth it and some saying theres no need on such a small setup

If you really want to take an earth to it, then i would say 10mm² at least. wiring can be external. you cannot use the gas pipe

but as above, if you have a lot of equipment with high earth leakage, then the circuit supplying it may need to be high integrity, which i very much doubt it is now

If you really want to take an earth to it, then i would say 10mm² at least. wiring can be external. you cannot use the gas pipe

but as above, if you have a lot of equipment with high earth leakage, then the circuit supplying it may need to be high integrity, which i very much doubt it is now
ok by  high integrity you mean a second earth from the CU to the Socket(s) that are being used by the server rack then back to the CU Using 4.5mm earth? 

Am i able to carry out this work my Self 

if its a ring then each earth connection must be in a different terminal on the sockets, and different terminals at the board. you probably could DIY (depends on how competent you are though), but you will need to replace any socket that only has 1 earth terminal.

if its a radial, then as above except you will need an earth from last socket back to board to make it a ring

also, if you have lots of earth leakage then you may need this circuit to be on its own RCD. or it may be possible to wire a dedicated circuit without one

if its a ring then each earth connection must be in a different terminal on the sockets, and different terminals at the board. you probably could DIY (depends on how competent you are though), but you will need to replace any socket that only has 1 earth terminal.

if its a radial, then as above except you will need an earth from last socket back to board to make it a ring

also, if you have lots of earth leakage then you may need this circuit to be on its own RCD. or it may be possible to wire a dedicated circuit without one
so i don't need to add a new earth then just make sure one earth is in one terminal and the earth is in the other terminal and same at the board one in one terminal and the second in a different terminal ? and yes i can do elec work i just like to make sure its right before i start the work then run a 10mm from the server rack to the CU or the earth block on the outside ?