Earthing Steel Conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay_t

Reaction score
I'm replacing a series of distribution boards in a school, it's being done a bit at a time due to accessability and time constraints.

I've replaced a board today, taken out an old metal crabtree board with c50's in and replaced with an MEM split load (metal again).

All the cabling is either surface mounted in steel or buried in steel, this particular board has surface mounted steel conduit attached. (no earth cabling, all through the conduit)

The boards aren't exactly the same size so i've had to play with the conduit a bit and, as a result, the earthing isn't as good as it was on the original board.

There's not a problem as such, everything is still well within the required results but, for example, the zs at the incomer of this board was 0.2 on the original, it's now 0.5, this makes all the Ze's well within the limits but i want it better.

Is there a collar i can attach to each run of conduit to run an earth wire to the bar to hopefully improve the results? Is a bonding earth strap ok for this or is there a specific device for conduit to do this?

I know the results are ok and i'm making more work for myself but hey, what can i say, i'm a belt and braces kinda guy ;)

Hia I assume that your incoming conduits are terminated using galv couplers? if so why not change them for couplers that have an integrated earth terminal on them? or even better run a cpc to all circuits so that you do not have to rely on the conduit for earth?

probably get shot for even thinking of this solution

Andy Guiness Drink

I`d be happy with Zee`s suggestion; or, failing that, using bonding nipples.

Although, I`m not a high user of conduit. Some of the more industrailly minded guys may have a better idea.

However, I`m pretty sure 17th contraindicates using BS951`s on conduit......

KME

I`d be happy with Zee`s suggestion; or, failing that, using bonding nipples.Although, I`m not a high user of conduit. Some of the more industrailly minded guys may have a better idea.

However, I`m pretty sure 17th contraindicates using BS951`s on conduit......

KME
WHAT?????

stop using these big words, sorry, but I have never heard of that word, Im even have trouble saying it. :eek: :O:O

It appears that word is to do with health and Medicine.

I assume KME means "Doesn't allow use of"?...