Ebay payback

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The following story did amuse me so;

"I had tickets to a sporting event and couldn't attend. I made a 1-day listing and clearly stated that the tickets must be picked up in person within 24 hours (the game was the evening after the auction ended, so there wasn't any time to ship the tickets). A woman won the auction for about $600. The auction had ended at 10:00am and by 5:00pm she still hadn't responded to my emails trying to organize the exchange. Finally, at 9:30pm, I got a one-liner email: "I overbid and my husband won't let me buy these. Sorry and enjoy the game! :)"

I first tried explaining that I wouldn't have the time to resell the tickets (I already got turned down by the losing bidders). She said, "... that's not my problem. It's eBay, not a car dealership. I can back out if I want." I still don't understand the car dealership reference.

I was pretty upset. I was basically going to be stuck with tickets to an event that I couldn't attend. That's when I got the idea to convince her to change her mind.

I created a new eBay account, "Payback" we'll call it, and sent her a message: "Hi there, I noticed you won an auction for 4 [sporting event] tickets. I meant to bid on these but couldn't get to a computer. I wanted to take my son and dad and would be willing to give you $1,000 for the tickets. I imagine that you've already made plans to attend, but I figured it was worth a shot."

At 11:30pm she responded to Payback: "I'll do it for $1,100, no less. I can meet you at the game if you agree. I need your phone number."

At 11:35pm, Payback wrote: "Deal. Here is my number..." (Thanks Google Voice for the throwaway number). She called a few minutes later and made Payback "promise" to go through with the deal. She emphasized that she'd be out a lot of money if Payback backed out. Payback swore he would never do such a thing.

At 11:45pm, the woman emailed me: "Fine. I'll buy them. But you have to drop them off at my house tonight. I'll have the cash ready." So at ****ing midnight I drove to her house across town and met her on the road in front of her apartment building. She was a nasty and rude individual. Things didn't get any better when I told her I wanted an extra $20 for the trouble of driving there at midnight (yeah, pushing my luck, I know). It became very awkward and she literally threw 31 $20 bills at me. I counted them before handing over the tickets. I said, "thanks for the great transaction" as she flipped me off while walking away.

At 10:00am she called Payback to make sure they were still on for the exchange. Payback said that he could no longer go to the game and wouldn't be able to do the exchange. She blew her fxxxing top and I swear to god started speaking in tongues. Payback said, "Ma'am, this is eBay, not a car dealership" and hung up.

I got a rabid email 10 minutes later telling me that I was going to hell and that she's reported me to the local police, FBI, and... the fire department. WTF?"

This Great eBay Scam Will Warm Your Heart

EDIT: Her reply email;

"Fuxxing funny fxxxer! You know you can go to JAIL for this. YOu theef!!!!! [City] cops FBI fire and government already no. Your done. I got your number and your name. This is thefting property FUXXER!!! Give my $620 back or everything bad wiil happen - FCUK!!!!! You cant steal and get away. Refund me now or else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont want a lawsuit. Trust me. u dont. You can have tickets jut give my my money and be done."

That's the bulk of the email, word for word. There was more at the end too. She must have pressed 'enter' 30 times and wrote "FCUK" and the another 30 times and wrote "HELL". Then she wrote her name which was strange.

PAYBACK IS SWEET:put the kettle on

Like it.

I have a situation going on at the moment, we put our house up for rent in December and wanted it all to start in the new year, got some tenants who pushed and pushed like hell coz they wanted to be in on Dec 19th, so me and the missus worked like merry heck and got ourselves packed and out so they could go in.

Then we get a message saying can we delay for a couple of weeks please coz they are 'ill' and it turns out the rental agents have ****ed us over too coz even tho they told us the tenants had signed, they havent.

Wonder if payback can help us?

I always think the saying " what goes around comes around" deefinately comes true!

Reminds when I was moving house 3 years ago, the house i intended to buy and had building work done to it which would have needed planning permission, the owners who were an elderly couple promised me the work was done properly and through the right channels.

Basically I put in a good offer, they accepted, I paid for searches and then at the last minute when most of the searches had been done they admitted no proof of planning permission etc

On principal of being lied to and after it costing me hundreds of pounds so far I pulled out of the transaction and found much to my amusement that the other house we had been looking at had been reduced and was now within our price range which is where we are living now :)

The other house is still not sold and now off the market! If they hadnt of lied to me in the first place I might have gone through with the deal with extra checks done but thats their problem not mine!