ECIR charge for second fuse box in garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easteregg1

Reaction score
Hello all
I am a home owner and as I am planning to sell my house thought it wise to get a ECIR report done.
I ordered it online and said I had one fuse box. The electrician was here a total of 1 hour 40 minutes including 5 minutes in the garage where we have a separate 2 fuse consumer unit.
I have been told they now want a further £100 as the unit in the garage is a second fuse box. They are refusing to issue the report until I have paid this.
Is this correct as seems a lot extra to pay for 5 minutes work?
thank you

I assume you mean a EICR, It would take me at least one whole day, according to size of property, and a few hours after to prepare the report, seems you have not paid tell them to take a long walk off a short pier, get someone else to do one for you, did the previous electrician hitch his horse to the rail outside.

So how much did you pay for the house CU?

I won’t quote for an EICR normally without a site visit first

As for 1 hour 40 minutes. That’s seriously not enough time to do a proper EICR unless it’s only 3 to 4 circuits in a small flat

well you could always remind them that you only 'ordered' one consumer unit to be tested, if they go further than that, thats their problem. tell them you want to report for the one in the house, and remind them that there's a box on the report for extent of installation covered by the report and all they need to do it fill in that stating theyve only tested one box and not the garage

and next time, dont rely on buying an EICR online

Hello all
I am a home owner and as I am planning to sell my house thought it wise to get a ECIR report done.
I ordered it online and said I had one fuse box. The electrician was here a total of 1 hour 40 minutes including 5 minutes in the garage where we have a separate 2 fuse consumer unit.
I have been told they now want a further £100 as the unit in the garage is a second fuse box. They are refusing to issue the report until I have paid this.
Is this correct as seems a lot extra to pay for 5 minutes work?
thank you

You don't actually say if you have paid anything yet?
If so far you have paid nothing....
I would just start again with a more professional contractor...

As Andy points out there is no such thing as a standard off-the-shelf EICR..
AND before commencing the extent of the installation to be inspected should be agreed between contractor and client..

1hours and 40minuits is not enough time to do a reasonable inspection & test on an average domestic property..
UNLESS.. it was just a Visual inspection that you requested??

On the details given so far it does sound as though you may have employed some less competent persons..
Did they arrive on horseback by any chance???

OR.. if you did have copies of previous electrical certificates that can speed things up a bit...
But still I'd be saying to prospective customers expect between half a day to a full days labour depending upon what is or isn't found

Even this general guidance factsheet suggests 3-4 hours.. depending upon the size of property..
http://www.niceic.com/www.niceic.com/media/PDF/FactSheet-Electrics-A4-4pp.pdf

In my opinion anything done in less than half a day is NOT worth the paper it is written on!

Interestingly the NICEIC have not updated that link to cover Private Rental Sector😂😂

I think the Electric Safety Council.. (or whatever they are called nowadays).. have some Landlords guidance including EICR's..
But I can't be arsed to google their website at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all
Why? It is and always has been the responsibility of the buyer to get any surveys done including electrical surveys.

I as a buyer would not trust an EICR presented by the vendor.

I assume you mean a EICR, It would take me at least one whole day, according to size of property, and a few hours after to prepare the report, seems you have not paid tell them to take a long walk off a short pier, get someone else to do one for you, did the previous electrician hitch his horse to the rail outside.
If you hold an 'installation' certificate -the report should be a 'periodic' report which could be far less time consuming - that could explain it ?

As the OP is not an electrician the use of "ECIR" would tend to indicate he may know what he was paying for even though the letters may be misplaced, a periodic inspection would indeed take less time, but even then longer than 1hr 40mins, I feel you are making excuses for a cowboy.