Economy 7 circuit not working after smart meter installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but I would like to be able to tell them what they have done wrong.
That is not your job. By all means tell them E7 no longer works and they have done something wrong. I would also be telling them firmly that you did not ask for or authorise the smart meters and you want them changed back to the original ones.

that one is indeed a proteus switched via neutral 2 amp time switch in the Meter itself used to fit loads for EDF as they hadn't developed a 5 port smart meter when I worked for them , o do believe the meter can be programmed remotely via supplier as to what is required I .e economy 7 ect.
As a side note there were many of these contactors that failed or were wrongly wired !!

The original picture shows what looks like a standard 60/80A Domestic supply blue phase. The off peak load will not be great and one would expect standard wiring with a off peak and on peak consumer unit. two sets of tails which come through the wall

Well the picture provided by 'sirsparkabit' does not resemble what is in the original picture!!!

Soliciting views is always interesting we all learn from it but as I said this is an issue for the meter operator. Get in touch with your supplier tell then since the change of metering the off peak no longer works , let them come and put it right. Ask them what was done wrong and post the solution on here

Thank you Fleeting. The installer didn't have access to the cu, he only had access to the meter cupboard so I guess would have made assumptions based on what he could see in front of him. Does that affect your view of whether this wiring is correct or incorrect ie that what he's done has bypassed the Econ 7 cu?

If it no longer functions then something is incorrect. You need to get them back as from here we have no idea why not is not working.

Think about your question. None smart meter two sets of tails everything working, Smart meter two sets of tails off peak does not work. Do you think it has been wired wrong?

I reckon so. refer to 'sirsparkabit' picture. My opinion is that the meter fitter has connected the off peak tails to the contactor on the right

Hi, My photo shows the standard set up for a contactor feeding the off peak supply ,top far right blocks signify off peak c/u .Bottom far right ones the peak supply.

What we can't see in the ops photo is the 2 sets of blocks N +L that the tails from outgoing meter tails must be going too in order to achieve the same as my photo !.
As said get them back to check it out , if you are the landlord of the property and a tenant had this install done without your permission you are fully within your rights to ask them to remove it 😉

Hi, My photo shows the standard set up for a contactor feeding the off peak supply ,top far right blocks signify off peak c/u .Bottom far right ones the peak supply.

What we can't see in the ops photo is the 2 sets of blocks N +L that the tails from outgoing meter tails must be going too in order to achieve the same as my photo !.
As said get them back to check it out , if you are the landlord of the property and a tenant had this install done without your permission you are fully within your rights to ask them to remove it 😉
The meter installer hasn't fitted them

Latest posts