Economy 7 water heating tank.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispearce20

Reaction score
Hello,

Just purchased my first flat, it is 100% electric ( no gas) and has an economy 7 meter.

I spoke to my neighbours this morning, who said they and most residents have changed to smart meters. Due to the fact that our flats have panel heaters not storage heaters, so economy 7 does not end up averaging any cheaper in general.

I think I would also like a smart meter, for ease of use, and to keeps things simpler.

However currently my water tank is linked to a Horstmann Electronic 7 thermostat
similar to this: https://tinyurl.com/mr3djsuc

this system controls a dual element water tank. Bottom element using of-peak power supply and top element (boost) using on-peak supply.

If an energy provider switched me to a new smart meter, would my bottom element then become redundant, and no longer work? will some sort of re-wiring be required or even a new thermostat?

Last edited:
It will depend what happens when they fit your smart meter, Why not ask your neighbours what they did?

If it isn't broken .......
First, please realise that the ONLY advantage of a smart meter to you is that it saves you having to occasionally read your meters and put the reading on a website. This may change in the future by tariff manipulation, but you won't, as advertised, save any power consumption.
It's a government driven initiative primarily to enable variable price metering in the future.
There is also a track record of problems for smart meter conversions where economy 7 circuits are involved. Probably not universal, but clearly not uncommon either.
So; Look before you leap. Ask you neighbours who their suppliers are and what problems if any SM conversion has brought them.

Op you are correct to check the prices, but do remember that all electricity consumed during the E7 period is at the cheaper rate so using white goods with timers can make a lot of sense

as for having no E7 - there are small changes you may need, but these shouldn’t be difficult or too expensive

E7 rates are not as cheap as years ago, standing charge is more these days. Personally I would take your own meter readings every month and see what average you are using and ask neighbors. I have had some say it is cheaper with stg heaters and E7 others on standard rate with oil filled rads. Insulation and lifestyle have a large bearing on leccy cost. Smart meters is a gov red herring so all the big six want paying for installing them... they are not going to save you money in the long run.