eddy currents?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamlettphil

Reaction score
my apprentice asaked me today, what eddy currents are all about, and to be honest i couldnt remember, could any 1 fill me in cheers

Or put simply, its a magnetic force that is generated when current carrying cables pass through a ferrous material. A transformer makes good use of this, whilst live and neutral conductors in an installation entering a metal cabinet through different holes is a bad use of this ( I have seen a 6x6 trunking glowing red).

Or put simply, its a magnetic force that is generated when current carrying cables pass through a ferrous material. A transformer makes good use of this, whilst live and neutral conductors in an installation entering a metal cabinet through different holes is a bad use of this ( I have seen a 6x6 trunking glowing red).
**** me, bet you could've cooked on them slips?

Did anything serious happen, did you sort it out?

eddy currents are the reason that transformer steel blocks are made up of laminates, to minimise the eddy currents.

That's why the 70mm + tails outa CT metering enclosures pass through a paxolin insulating cover rather than metal otherwise there would be a moulten pool of metal right rapid surrounding the tails! :eek: