EDF opinion on bS951 clamps on tns earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jckent

Reaction score
I did a periodic last week, and gave a code 1 on an earth clamp on the earth sheaf of a tns supply, (wound up tight it was).

Under regs(as we all know) a bS951 clamp should not be used-Reg 512.1.5

The customer was less than happy as other sparx have never mentioned it.

I informed he she would need to get EDF out .

Had a phone call today from the EDF electrician. telling me the ze is fine so no worries. I said what about the clamp. He just said "nah its ok". and is happy to give cert to say so.

My ass covered. ;)

Opinions anyone?

what would you do?, would you have code 1 it?

Or am I just being fussy?

Did you do a Ze reading ? if it tested ok then I would list it as a code 4 but record the details of your attempt to get the issue resolved by the supplier. But I would give the user a copy of the 7671 clause and get them to kick off at the supplier.

Some of these sparks working for the supply company are at best inept at times, had one called out last week as the neutral tail had a massive gash in the grey insulation on the radius turn. customer phoned it in guy turns up I show him the problem he spends 15min in the cupboard comes out and said I can't find a loose connection DOH!! X( so I show him the tail again. (he could barely speak English!!) another 15mins comes out said he had changed the tail and then goes. Later that day I go to put CU back on and find the T**t has cut 3" off the tail to get rid off the gash and then reconnected, the radius is so tight the grey insulation has turned white with the tension its under.X(X( X(

EDF are under no obligation to provide you with an earth if you are that bothered get some of the consumer earth bond clamps the link to this is on the tips and tricks part of site.

Batty

EDF are under no obligation to provide you with an earth if you are that bothered get some of the consumer earth bond clamps the link to this is on the tips and tricks part of site.Batty
I would agree with this but surely in this case if they are going to issue a certificate then it must be up to code or noted on the cert. Therefore does it not mean that by issuing the cert EDF have agreed to provide an earth which should be fit for purpose.

I would agree with this but surely in this case if they are going to issue a certificate then it must be up to code or noted on the cert. Therefore does it not mean that by issuing the cert EDF have agreed to provide an earth which should be fit for purpose.
The problem with using clamps on the cable it can damage it. But if the loop is ok there should not be a problem. I have been to loads of properties with 951 clamps usually loop is fine but as I have said in future I will use the consumer earth bonds if needed.

Batty

At the end of the day EDF can do what they want, they dont have to comply with BS regs (neither do we actually).

If they are happy with the clamp - and its been put in writing, and the Ze off it is satisfactory then you can use it.

If you aren't happy using it, then rod it.

D.

EDF are under no obligation to provide you with an earth if you are that bothered get some of the consumer earth bond clamps the link to this is on the tips and tricks part of site.Batty
Nor are any of the electricity providers.

Don

I did a periodic last week, and gave a code 1 on an earth clamp on the earth sheaf of a tns supply, (wound up tight it was).Under regs(as we all know) a bS951 clamp should not be used-Reg 512.1.5

Opinions anyone?

what would you do?, would you have code 1 it?

Or am I just being fussy?
My boys would have given this a 2

And asked the supplier if PME was available.

Don

Don

And asked the supplier if PME was available.
If it was round here the answer would be yeh but we need 154 notes off yah - I'm sure your boys could twist an arm or two for a freebee :eek: :^O

I would not have noted it. As its a connection before the main fuse its not your responsibility and not under the realms of BS7671, so not part of a periodic inspection. 90% OF TNS supplies around here are earthed like that.

Edf, who around here are the only company that provides and maintains the network cables have now started to fit TNS again. TNCS is no longer availible.

Edf, who around here are the only company that provides and maintains the network cables have now started to fit TNS again. TNCS is no longer availible.
It sounds like EDF have been reading Steptoe's posts about the dangers of PME systems. :^O :^O:^O

I would not have noted it. As its a connection before the main fuse its not your responsibility and not under the realms of BS7671, so not part of a periodic inspection. 90% OF TNS supplies around here are earthed like that.Edf, who around here are the only company that provides and maintains the network cables have now started to fit TNS again. TNCS is no longer availible.
totally agree,

if I really wanted to point it out then maybe in the comments on existing installation box if you have one on your certs.

otherwise sod all to do with your PIR.

It is odd, is it not , that network companies are not obliged to povide an earth on domestic supplies but are on commercial and industrial.

Also, referring to the above posts, we are told not to use a clamp on the lead sheath because (a) It could crush the cable (B) crap could build up under the clamp.

All very well but try getting an earth term sweated on, no one is bothered except yourself.

It is odd, is it not , that network companies are not obliged to povide an earth on domestic supplies but are on commercial and industrial. Also, referring to the above posts, we are told not to use a clamp on the lead sheath because (a) It could crush the cable (B) crap could build up under the clamp.

All very well but try getting an earth term sweated on, no one is bothered except yourself.
The network companies did for sometime fit these themselves so if they are already in place all well and good as far as i can see.

They use abangle type thing now with a flexible braid to connect to.

It is odd, is it not , that network companies are not obliged to povide an earth on domestic supplies but are on commercial and industrial. Also, referring to the above posts, we are told not to use a clamp on the lead sheath because (a) It could crush the cable (B) crap could build up under the clamp.

erm,

where do you come across this conclusion then Deke.?

I do a fair bit of industrial and quite a bit would be TT, as are comercial, except in town of course, where TNS seems to be common, as with domestic.

Today's job found this type of clamp on TNS incomer.

Getting 1.23 ohms direct from lead sheath.

Not going to waste anytime with DNO so will TT.

As per the the regs, Ze can be determined by enquiry, so what if the DNO were to say Ze is 0.80 ohms?